1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

A number of you have posted asking whether it's good to stick with one gun. The old adage of "beware the man with one gun, he just might know how to use it" is true. I recommend, as others have that you pick the weapon you perform best with and stick with it.

Here at the Academy I have to be able to train personnel on any weapon and consequently shoot them all well. Still, when I walk out the door my Stainless Colt Commander is on my hip...

Wes
Willamette Small Arms Academy

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
You better be careful, or the gun manufacturers will put out a contract on you!

Imagine what it would do to the firearms/ammunition trade if we all just bought one gun. Ghastly!

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I say stick with one style of gun.

I have 2 1911s and a BHP

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree that ALL handguns should be similar...

I have only 1911s w/Single-Side safety - This leaves nothing to think about during a time-of-crisis.

-- x --
Scenario:

It's late, I'm tired, I need a weapon - I pick-up a sidearm.

Does it have a decocker, where's the safety?

No, I pick-up, I drop safety, I fire - KISS.
-- x --

Thanks and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
This was pretty well covered in another thread.

I think it is at least wise to stick with one until you have mastered it. Of course what constitutes "mastered" will vary depending on the individual goal.

But definately on a professional level it is wise to be familiar other guns in order as to be able to use them all (as many as possible) if the need arises. The same is actually true on the amateur level for that matter - and there are probably more amateurs that do this on the long average than professionals as it happens anyway. Time and money probably being the deciding factor for both catagories.

I first became reasonably proficient with a Smith & Wesson revolver (and aquired a few of them as time went on), and shortly behind were 1911 pistols - various makes. I stayed with S&W revolvers and 1911-style pistols for personal and professional business.

Problem is; guns are fun, interesting, and you probably can't have too may of them. Consequently, I have bought many, and have tried a great many others in between, and sought to at least give a cursory study to some I have never laid a hand on.

I would hate to actually restrict myself to literally one gun. But there is certainly much merit to the principle in the context of being intimately familiar with, and a master of, your regular weapon of choice. That goes for a rifle and shotgun too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by Wes Howe:
Gents,

A number of you have posted asking whether it's good to stick with one gun. The old adage of "beware the man with one gun, he just might know how to use it" is true. I recommend, as others have that you pick the weapon you perform best with and stick with it.

Here at the Academy I have to be able to train personnel on any weapon and consequently shoot them all well. Still, when I walk out the door my Stainless Colt Commander is on my hip...

Wes
Willamette Small Arms Academy
I think a person should be able to use any gun he or she owns in an emergency without having to stop and think about how the safety works, etc...
To that end, I think that anyone who owns several different types of guns should practice regularly with it. And, take a tacticle course or two, with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Up until last year I didn't want a pistol (I always preferred rifles
. But IMHO if/when I was to get a pistol it was one of two choices 1.1911 45acp 2.Thompson-Center Contender. Well I broke down and bought a Kimber Classic Stainless and my CCW. I'm happy with it and part of that was learning what I could from 1911Forum. I consider you guys a great bunch. I sort of have to bite the bullet though numerically speaking. Another reason why I went with the 1911, being a Vietnam-era vet and raised in the military from day one,If I have to depend on one pistol to protect my Family,have nostalogia,plink (22lr conversion),carry,couldn't justify another rifle to my wife,and a military style momento. The 1911 is a neat package.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 3 differeng guns that I carry. A full size 1911, a USP 9mm compact, and a Walther P99 .40s&w. What is important for me is that they all have similar characteristics. In my hands these 3 guns point the same way, and I can carry them in single action mode. I carry the 1911 and the USP cocked and locked so there is very little adjustment between those two even though the USP is much smaller than the 1911.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I shoot 1911s in competition and will carry the same. This is assuming the NM State Supremes ever get through proving they are separate but equal to the other two branches – alas, NM is in hurry up and wait mode, thanks to a lawsuit brought by the just defeated Albuquerque Mayor.

Bought a Glock 27 - ugly but kinda neat. Sold the Glock when CCW became a reality (maybe). I had difficultly transitioning from one to the other. Long trigger pull on the Glock was OK, but going back to the 1911 required conscious thought not to break the first shot early. IMHO, there is truth to the adage “Carry what you shoot and shoot what you carry”.

Plus I now have an excuse to buy another 1911.

------------------
Whoever said you can’t buy happiness never owned a good 1911!

·
Registered
210 Posts
My Sig P220 feels every bit as natural to my hand as my 1911. They have vastly different safety systems, yet they both feel "right" in my hand.

Granted, I haven't had to handle either under extreme stress, but I have fired both in competition, and handled both with no mishaps.

Maybe I just fondle my firearms more than you guys

/TCP

·
Registered
127 Posts
One style if not one gun. My choices are Browning HP and Wilson Protector 1911. There are times I will get in the mood and carry a revolver however about 90% is pistol and at least 90% of that is the 1911. A world class shooter I train with taught me after safety there are two things to emphasize: consistency, consistency, consistency and practice, practice, practice. That includes strong side owb carry with Tucker leather for every gun carried. Whatever else might be lacking I will never have to stop and think about where to find my gun or how it operates. I know someone who has several top quality carry guns by Sig, Glock, Walther, Colt and a couple others I think. He has multiple sets of leather for most if not all. I envision him having to frisk himself in time of need to find which gun in which leather is the day's choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my thoughts........

I love a single action 1911 with a tactical safety and night sights. My Wilson KZ-45 is a good choice for that; also, it will hold 10 big fat "full house" .45 auto rounds due to it's double-stack mag feature. Night sights would prove themselves in an encounter under dark conditions.

However; I did own an HK USP and it was single or double action on the first shot, the single action every shot after that. It did indeed have a decocker and it was activated by going in a hard downward motion with the safety, and it worked crisp. Not a bad handgun whatsoever. It would be a good backup. It ranks above glock in my book.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts