1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!,
Back from Whittington Center(neat place). I have another question about my recently purchased Ithaca (see Surprise Ithaca post for details). Assuming that this is one of the pistols that came home from China, Korea, or Phillipines....and assuming that they were sent over to these places as some kind of foriegn-aid... Were these sent as "NIB" guns, or were they previously issued to U.S. troops and then refurbished and sent to other countries, or both??? I'm just curious if this weapon could have seen action in WWII in the hands of U.S. troops?
Thanks,
Montana

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
The sad truth is, there's really no way of knowing where that gun may have been during its lifetime. The possibilities are endless. It could have been used by US troops during WW2 then later became foreign aid surplus, it may have been earmarked as Chinese aid during WW2, it may have been captured by Chinese or Vietnamese soldiers during Korea or Vietnam, etc-etc-etc.

Now you know why guns that are accompanied with paperwork saying who they were issued to hold a lot more collector interest. Ditto for WW2 bring-backs that have stayed in the same family for generations.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew that question was probably stretching a bit, but then I've been pretty amazed at the amount of info you guys have and are willing to share. Thanks!!
Montana

1 - 4 of 4 Posts