1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back there were two guns that I really wanted but was having trouble purchasing. One was a small pocket sized gun that I could have real confidence in for EDC. The other was a semi-auto 'tactical' shotgun that didn't feel like too much investment for it's intended use, occasional USPSA 3-gun and misc plinking.

I managed to pick up the shotgun several months ago but with my jobs working me too much and me filling in the time off with trips to Disneyland to reacquaint with the family I have not had a chance to get the shotgun out to shoot other than a few rounds at the end of a rifle sighting session. I really hoped the Mossberg would work out as the price was just right. I paid half what an SLP goes for. A bit over a third of the Benelli. I did not intend to use it enough to invest the kind of money those bring and I have had great luck with Mossberg products in the past so I felt pretty good about the decision. But the proof is in the shooting.

Ans shoot it does! The LPA sights are superb. I was shooting slugs at clay pigeons on the Berm at 25-50 yards and picking them off pretty regularly. 00 and 000 Buckshot from 2 ¾” and 3” shells patterned right around the point of aim. While the recoil is a bit harsher than the Benelli Shotguns it is quite manageable and I was pleased with how fast I was able to move from shot to shot. After I ran through all my slugs and buckshot I moved on to some testing that had me a little nervous as I have a friend who is an auto shotgun nut and he swears that only the Benelli will run reliably on the cheap underpowered Wal-Mart low brass ammo, Something I really wanted to be able to shoot (for cheap fun purposes). The Mossy shot the whole 100 round value pack and all the buckshot and slugs I brought without a hiccup. I wrapped up the shotgun shooting by obliterating a block of ice with one shot of a slug at 15 yards. It was practically snowing! Just a fantastic purchase!

The small pistol was something even harder to come by. I looked at everything on the market and was not really satisfied with anything. I had settled on the LCP because of all the things I was not totally happy with, it was the easiest to carry. Enter the Sig P238. As soon as I read about it I knew it was the gun I had been looking for. Well, I wish it was offered in 9mm but..;) I only hoped it would carry half as well as the LCP and shoot a lot better (in my hands). The shotgun put away, I broke out the tiny Sig. This thing is tailor-made for 1911 shooters. My thumb went instinctively to the safety, the trigger feels like an old friend. The grip angle is a natural for me. It points like a 1911! The sights are also fantastic!

I loaded it up with some Hornady Critical Defense FTX and started blasting. A couple times it was a little sticky getting the first round into the chamber as the soft rubber insert in the FTX bullet would hang up a bit on the ramp. This only occurred on feeding the first round manually and only after I fouled the ramp a bit. This is more of an ammo issue but something to think about if one is going to carry a spare magazine to reload. Two boxes of the FTX ammo went down the pipe without a hiccup. Recoil is sooooo soft and smooth compared to the LCP, which I never felt I could grip well. I also tried some Magtech “+p” for comparison. It ate all those as well with a little more recoil snap than the FTX. I may carry those in my spare mag as all fed very smoothly. I ran 100 rounds of ball ammo as well. All went without a hiccup.

Now where this gets amazing is just how well this little thing shoots! At a little under 15 yards slow fire offhand I shot a 1” group with prvi partizan ball ammo. I was able to keep rapid doubletaps in the A zone of a USPSA metric at 7 yards. And on the subject of rapid, I was amazed how much faster I could shoot this than the LCP. The trigger pull is far shorter and lighter. The sights snap right back to the target. I was breaking clay pigeons on the berm and then pulverizing the remaining pieces. I would like to test reliability a bit more but as for my ability to hit what I aim at with it, I am utterly confident.

I really can't remember two more satisfying purchases or such a fun range trip! 4 stars for both! If anyone is on the fence about either I heartily recommend you get off the fence and pick one up.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Mossberg 930 SPX

DW,

I'm glad to hear that the Mossberg is working out for you. I've been looking around for one at a reasonable price for the same reasons. Let us no how it performs at your next 3-gun match. One question, how did you find loading it (at speed) with that big square edge of the hand guard right next to loading gate?

Here is a good review of the 930 SPX and instructions for modifying a side saddle to fit it. Apparently, no one is making a side saddle that will fit it yet.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167

·
Registered
60 Posts
...The shotgun put away, I broke out the tiny Sig [P238]. This thing is tailor-made for 1911 shooters. My thumb went instinctively to the safety, the trigger feels like an old friend. The grip angle is a natural for me. It points like a 1911! The sights are also fantastic!
My experience exactly. This little .380 is perfect as a tiny BUG for 1911 shooters. IMHO, Sig has a winner here. :)

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
DW,

I'm glad to hear that the Mossberg is working out for you. I've been looking around for one at a reasonable price for the same reasons. Let us no how it performs at your next 3-gun match. One question, how did you find loading it (at speed) with that big square edge of the hand guard right next to loading gate?

Here is a good review of the 930 SPX and instructions for modifying a side saddle to fit it. Apparently, no one is making a side saddle that will fit it yet.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167
Thanks for the info. It will probably be a little while before I shoot another match (my 60 hour weeks go until dec) but I will make sure to report back. My shotgun experience is a little limited and I have never shot one in something like USPSA so it is a little tough to comment on the loading. I had no issues at all and I was loading it pretty quickly. I was not, however, doing it under stress as fast as I could. That could make a difference I imagine.

ETA: Forgot to add that Mesa is now offering a shell carrier for the mossy
http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=141

1 - 4 of 4 Posts