1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you have found one powder that would work well for 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm, and .45acp. These are what I reload, and it would be nice to have only one powder to deal with. I know that if there is such a thing it would be a comprimise, since the different calibers perform better with either fast or slower burning powder, but it is worth asking.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Power Pistol would be my closest choice. But I would expand it to 2 powders. Power Pistol for 9, 40, & 10. 231 for 45. 231 would be much more economical for 45. All others would do OK with Power Pistol..9, 40, & 10 are high pressure rds, 45 is a low pressure rd. PP works great in 45's if you go to max loads, but for lite/target loads, it leaves a lot of unburned powder.

Weshoot2 will give the best opinion for powders. If he doesn't jump in in a day or 2 PM him. Tracy

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,334 Posts
Unique is suitable for all of those calibers, and 231 will work, as well. You won't get optimum performance, and I'd question the need for four calibers, all loaded to marginal performance levels. Maybe get two powders, one at the fast end, and one at the slow, so you can have economical plinking and practice, while also being able to take advantage of the performance potential of all four cartridges.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Unique is suitable for all of those calibers, and 231 will work, as well. You won't get optimum performance, and I'd question the need for four calibers, all loaded to marginal performance levels. Maybe get two powders, one at the fast end, and one at the slow, so you can have economical plinking and practice, while also being able to take advantage of the performance potential of all four cartridges.
Good advice. Say, unique and 540?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Unique would be the choise for what you want, it is hard to beat for getting the most calibers out of one kind.

That being said WW231 is my favorite powder for those 3 rnds. was just given 2 pounds free so 3 pounds to use up.
I have a half of pound of Unique and it will do what 231 does and some.
I will use the last of the Unique up in the 44 mag I have to load. Something the 231 can not do {ww296 would have to be used} It is "Unique" as the many differant types of loads and calbers it can be used in.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Titegroup! Very near as economical as Clays (i.e, small charges equals more throws per pound!), yet, it's start charges frequently give the velocities as some other powders' max charges....(ref. use of 200 gr bullet in .45 ACP for 231 vs. TG)

TG still burns cleanly/consistently even with reduced/below start charge (for pinking/steel plate) loads as well....

(if the goal is to fill much of the case to prevent beginner double charges, I'd vote for Unique; 5.5 gr of Unique pretty much fills 90% of a 9x19 case!)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have found one powder that would work well for 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm, and .45acp. These are what I reload, and it would be nice to have only one powder to deal with. I know that if there is such a thing it would be a comprimise, since the different calibers perform better with either fast or slower burning powder, but it is worth asking.
9mm, .40S&W, 10mm, and .45acp

“Since the different calibers perform better with either fast or slower burning powder, but it is worth asking.”

I’m not so sure I agree with the above statement or assumption.
I would agree in performing “differently” but not necessarily “better”
It depends on what the end goal is.
I have developed accurate loads with three of the calibers you mention at high and low velocity with a variety of bullet types.
But I was definitely not using just one powder to do this.
Bullet selection plays a big roll in this as well

You didn’t say what bullets you planned on using with these calibers.

If all the calibers you mention were using target lead then the velocities would most likely be in the low to moderate range and one powder could perform this duty well.
Even jacketed stuff will perform accurately if dialed in properly to your gun.

But one powder will not perform all functions; you just can not expect the range of flexibility from one powder or speed range with all bullet types, designs, weights and velocities.
You may get close with several calibers but all of them, with all bullets and all velocity ranges?
I doubt it.

I like the suggestion on using two powders. (If minimal powder types are the goal)
Of the calibers you mention I load for three of the four, 9, 10 and the 45ACP

In general, for target lead velocity something on the faster side would serve all your calibers.
231 might be a good starting point as a faster powder.
Maybe UNIQUE as an alternative.
It will work in all the calibers you load for delivering low to moderate velocity in the target/plinking mode.
Depending on the bullets used you should be able to find a sweet spot with most of your guns.
Most do.

On the other side of the spectrum I would just flat go slow, don’t even bother with the medium speed pistol powders if the goal is to minimize the selection you will wind up with three or more powders at this rate.
And the medium burn rate powders generate little if any velocity advantage.

For the slow end my first pick would be AA No.7
It will really hall the mail with the jacketed stuff and accurate to boot.
It will run all of the calibers you load for at or near their maximum velocities and still provide the ability to dial in top accuracy in your loads.
Yes, there are slower powders that will work but the accuracy potential starts falling off and in the 9MM and 40 S&W the cases are getting kind of small to get the high charge weights needed into the cases to get the speed up.
Longshot and Blue Dot would be alternatives.

One other reason I mention these particular powders is availability.

Everywhere I go either online, the gun shows or brick and mortar shops I seem to be able to find these powders in good supply.
(This not withstanding the current frenzy on components and supplies, i.e. normal times)

There is no sense picking powders and developing pet loads if you can’t reliably obtain the powders on a regular basis.
And if you are down to only one or two powders you will be going through them faster than you think loading four calibers with them.
Another reason is 231 and No.7 both meter very well and are not known to be excessively dirty, an added bonus.

If you like PM me, I can send you some load data for the 9,10 and 45 that has performed well for me in either target lead and high performance applications with lead and jacketed bullets with these powders.
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your respones. I am using either plated or jacketed bullets, and would just be for fun at the range. Not looking for max velocity. I am currently using Power Pistol for the 9, .40, and 10, and using Titegroup for the .45, and was hoping to make life easier.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Tom - if you are satisfied with your current performance with PP and TG, then stick to them. Two powders IS simple.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Winchester AutoComp!!

Cheap and works well.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I use w231 as my first choice. it burns clean and produces accurate ammo. Bullseye is my second. I just use these powders to make range ammo. Keep it economical without too much sacrifice(time/$$$).

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Titegroup. It's the only powder I use for pistol for .38 through .45. Others will work as well, there is no magic here. There are quite a few powders that will work well for almost all pistol calibers.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Unique for sure. Power Pistol maybe. The PP .45ACP loads I have shot are really flashy though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've been using 231/HP-38 for 9mm and .45 RN FMJ that I use in USPSA matches. The loads are 100% reliable, seem to shoot consistently for accuracy and muzzle velocity, and are reasonably clean.

During better weather, I was loading/shooting with this powder 1,000-1,500 rounds a month.

I especially like it because double charges are easy to spot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts