1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was almost home last night at about 7:30 from a job up north. Had been driving near two hours by now so just wanted to get home. Saw in the rear view mirrors a car or truck flashing it`s lights. Saw more flashing.
First response is don`t stop. However with my service truck the back could near be in flames and you couldn`t see it from the mirrors or the rear window. Besides I have also had occasions were cords or hoses have come loose and have near fell off, so it`s not a big deal to see this.
When I pulled over there were two vehicles pull over behind me. I pushed 911 into my cell phone but didn`t send the call. I locked the door and opened the window just enough so we could exchange pleasantries. Put the trans in gear, in case. Two guys come near running toward my door, yelling about how I just broke his lights on his new truck, says a bucket flew out the back.
O.K., I`ve lost things out the back before, so it`s possibe, I said "well anything is possible" in a very calm manner. He yelled about what I was going to do about it. "Nothing" was my only reply. As he and his buddy both started yelling,I said "sorry about what you say happened, bye" and drove off as they continued yelling.
I knew exactly where my .45 was at the whole time and saw no reason to push what could have been an ugly roadside incident. I pushed send on my cell phone and related what happened to the 911 operator. My accont was going to be first as they knew what I was driving, I didn`t have a clue to what they were in. She took all the info and thanked me for calling.
I don`t think I would have done anything different except turn on my rear lights to see who was approaching and possibly what they might have in their little hands. I guess we never know when were or what might happen, GEEEEEE!!!!!! I guess thats why we have concealed carry permits and USE them.

·
Registered
906 Posts
So you admit that things have fallen off before and maybe
a bucket did. Sounds like you acted like you could have
cared less and had no intent to do anything about it if
it did. The other driver had a right to be upset and your
care free attitude may not have helped. That does not
give the two guys the right to act the way they did.
The way you prepared your self to talk to them was great.
How would you of felt if your lights were knocked out and
the other guy did not care at all. One the other hand the
bucket could have already been in the road and they just
ran it over and assumed it came from your truck.
Let us know if any more comes out of this. Thanks for
sharing you experience with us.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
It sounds as if you put a lot of thought into making sure you were safe. Maybe you should be as attentive to the things in the back of your truck.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have nothing missing as far as I could tell once I got home. Yes you are correct, I would have been upset also, but they didn`t exactly come across as having a conversation instead of an argument.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm with Greg on this one. If the other motorists approached with a different demeanor it might have gone down differently. But if someone trys to stop me on the side of the road, I would NEVER get out of the vehicle. There are way too many BG's out there. If something did fall off your truck then they would have called the police, if they were honest motorists.
Could have been just a scam too. A scam to sucker a few bucks out of you so they won't call your employer to file an accident claim and maybe get you in trouble. I can see that happening.
You did the right thing in this case. Say you're sorry, drive off and call the police and give them all the info. If something did fall off your truck and the other party turned in an accident report the police would contract you.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Well basically you are responsible for any thing not properlyl secured, if it came from your truck you are at fault.

As to the excited motorist, how would you feel if something fell off a truck and smashed into the front of your vehicle? Propably excited and angry, not realizing that your comp. breakage on your insurance will cover it, you would be very loud and irrational.

Leagving was a good idea before things could have escalated, on the other hand you could have been more understanding andapolagetic, offerering your insurance information for just in case his did not cover all the damages. Good road relations go a long ways to keep things frendly on the road.

Driving a comercial vehicle is a great responsiblilty and difficult at times, but someone has to keep their head about them, and I am afraid that burden has been thrown on you.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
you would be very loud and irrational

Well, YOU and some others might be loud and irrational but some people have self control. Regardless of whose fault it was, the other motorists should have been more professional, then maybe they could have got some money had they deserved it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had something similiar happen just the other day. Guy followed me several miles to a friends house. When I arrived he got out and said my truck threw something up from the road cracking his grill/light. He first tried to claim if came from the bed which got a laugh since it was empty. I had no way of knowing if he was telling the truth and politely told him so. Judging from the damage it would have had to be something substantial to crack the grill AND light. He wanted my insurance info and repeated several times "Its not like you have to pay anything." I explained that I am not responsible for road hazards (which you are not by the way) and offered to call the police. I pulled out my cell phone and started to dial. He became very nervous and jumped in his truck with a comment that he had my license plate. He left in a hurry and I never heard from him again. Judging from his reaction it was clearly a scam. He saw my new truck and thought easy money. BTW, had there been something in my truck that fell out I would have been responsible and would have gladly paid. That's what insurance is for.

Since it was daylight in a busy neighborhood the guy described above was never a threat (although I did keep a distance). I was almost the victum of a roadside robbery while in college so I would never stop for anyone under the circumstances you described. Had a car follow me for several miles flashing its lights when I was out in the middle of nowhere near Houston. After a little while I stupidly pulled over thinking something must be wrong with my car or he needed help. When I stopped he jumped from his car and rushed my door. Luckily it was locked. He looked like he was drunk and about 300 pounds of fury. He smashed his fist against the windshield but she held. I had the presence of mind to be in gear and I punched it and did my version of the Daytona to the next town. I was unarmed since there was no CCW in those days. Would have had the same reaction even if I was armed. Get the hell away. Police took info but I never heard anything come out of it. They probably chalked it up to road rage.

What did I learn from both instances? Never trust anyone anytime.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You had the time and opportunity to say
"Nothing" was my only reply. As he and his buddy both started yelling,I said "sorry about what you say happened, bye
Then you could have said "Lets call the Police" and move on to
a public place. Then they would have not thought that you did not care at all.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would not have stopped. If your loose tools did damage his vehicle he could have called the police who would have legitimately stopped you at some point or contacted you by phone later(from license plate data). I would have stopped however at the next public service station and checked my truck for problems. You left the door open for a tire iron to shatter your side window and a subsequent attack by stopping!
This reminds me of rule #22 from "Rules for a gunfight": Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill every one you meet!:D

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I think Greg did ok.

Was once in the passenger seat while my mom was driving. A car full of young men came recklessly off the exit ramp from the highway onto the road we were on, and almost sideswiped us. The driver was somehow convinced that this was somehow my mom's fault and started recklessly trying to cut us off while screaming wildly out the window. By this point I had my pistol in my hand (held below the window, so could not be seen), and told my mom not to look at them, but to keep driving towards the police station. They continued attempting to force us off the road and screaming for a minute more or two, and then backed off when we got near the precinct.

Having the piece in hand was a great comfort. My philosophy is to always look to avoid the need to use it, whenever possible. Had I been trigger happy, I would have told her to pull over, and wait for them to show up with a tire iron or two. Not an outcome I wanted, though.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Just my .02. Here in NC, anyway, you are only responsible for things falling from your vehicle IF they hit another vehicle BEFORE contacting the ground FIRST. Anything that hits the ground first is considered a hazard that the motorist should have been able to avoid. This was told to me by a good friend who had a trash can lid blow off his trailer and hit another car's hood. The police officer is the one who told him this info. Take that as you may.:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
BrianMajors said:
Just my .02. Here in NC, anyway, you are only responsible for things falling from your vehicle IF they hit another vehicle BEFORE contacting the ground FIRST. Anything that hits the ground first is considered a hazard that the motorist should have been able to avoid. This was told to me by a good friend who had a trash can lid blow off his trailer and hit another car's hood. The police officer is the one who told him this info. Take that as you may.:)
Hi all, been lurking this forum a while and thought I'd chime in. Anyone following that close that a tool, bucket or whatever falls off my truck and hits their vehicle before hitting the gound is tailgating!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Real Hawkeye said:
I think Greg did ok.

Was once in the passenger seat while my mom was driving. A car full of young men came recklessly off the exit ramp from the highway onto the road we were on, and almost sideswiped us. The driver was somehow convinced that this was somehow my mom's fault and started recklessly trying to cut us off while screaming wildly out the window. By this point I had my pistol in my hand (held below the window, so could not be seen), and told my mom not to look at them, but to keep driving towards the police station. They continued attempting to force us off the road and screaming for a minute more or two, and then backed off when we got near the precinct.

Having the piece in hand was a great comfort. My philosophy is to always look to avoid the need to use it, whenever possible. Had I been trigger happy, I would have told her to pull over, and wait for them to show up with a tire iron or two. Not an outcome I wanted, though.
Cell phones are great things for times like that, I'd pull a 911 ( not to be confused with a 1911) on them. Usually when they see you reach for the cell they bid a hasty retreat.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I know people want to side against the angry guy, but I'd be angry too if somebody didn't secure their cargo and let a bucket fly into my car. BTW, you don't have to be tailgating to have a bucket hit your car. The fact that you thought it quite possible that your bucket did the damage tells me that you didn't care about his damage, even if it was your fault. You seem to think that since he was angry and yelling you weren't obligated to cover his damages. Fear is not an excuse to leave a stranger holding your bill.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wouldn't the comprehensive portion of the auto coverage pay to fix something like that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts