1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to break in with my new Mark IV Series 80 .38 Super and my "El Rey" .38 Super. Unfortunately I have decided to sell the "El Rey" (but keep the Mark IV). I just can't shoot well with the El Rey. I have to practically have the front sight so low that it can't be seen through the rear to hit my intended target at 9 yards. And I am consistently shooting right. I have to watch mayself at longer ranges when shooting the Mark IV or I'll be high but never shoot it to the right. The Mark IV has what seems to be the same sights and they seem centerd OK. Maybe the flat top versus the round top has something to do with it; or the weights of the guns, trigger pull, etc?? I am dead on with my Gold Cup but it has Bomar sights so I just can't figure it out.

I don't really think it is the El Rey but probably my shooting skill level. This is such a stunningly beautiful gun but I think I should concentrate on improving with just one .38 Super instead of two different ones and that I should keep the one I'm most accurate with from the beginning.

Question: can I also purchase a 9mm barrel and/or a 9X23 barrel for the Mark IV .38 Super? If so, any suggested retailers, brands, etc? Any downfalls to using different barrels? Do I need to change anything else such as recoil spring? If purchasing a different caliber barrel is possible, maybe I should try the new barrel (for my Mark IV)in the El Rey before selling it??

Sorry to ramble but I get rather frustrated when I don't shoot well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Theres nothing that a good smith couldn't tweek for you to get either of them shoot right. A sight adjustment and maybe a barrel link would help. Find a good 1911 smith and enjoy those beauties. You can get barrels and springs fitted to the guns but to regulate all the different barrels to point of aim takes a real craftsman. Try teh smiths that frequent this forum. George Smith of EGW is a good one to start with.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: A 9mm conversion kit for your .38 Super.
It can be done. Contact some good smiths. You will be able to run both rounds through your Gov't Model.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Colt made 9X23 conversion kits for their MKIV .38 supers, and vice versa. I've heard of them being sold on Gunbroker but I'll bet they didn't make many of them.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The 9mm might be able to use the same spring, but the 9X23 will require a heavier spring.

Either one is really just a barrel change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have same results with my "Pimp" gun. over 1' high at 25. Mine is bright and only has CUSTOM on left side of round top slide slide.I don't know what model it is although the s/n begins with EL. I wonder if these were originaly destined for Ol Mex?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I nearly bought the bright stainless that has Custom Shop on it (just like yours) but found the El Rey for just a little bit more money. I was told that the bright stainless that has Custom Shop on it instead of an "EL" name was one that the custom shop made and decided not to sell as an "EL" and so they merely put Custom Shop on it. I don't know if I believe this story but the bright stainless custom shop gun is identical to my El Rey except my El Rey has the polished blue frame & blue trigger (all the rest is bright stainless including the slide stop, thumb safety). The all bright stainless is one beautiful gun!!!!

The El Rey is a gorgeous gun also. I was thinking that maybe I'd make it into a 9mm and still keep it. I just don't know what to do. Guess it all depends on what's at the gun show this weekend that I just can't live without.

By the way, my EL Rey shoots about 1" high at just 9-15 yards. I don't know what it would do at 25 yards.... maybe miss the target altogether. I may just consider talking to a good gunsmith. The 2 I've used locally have been a HUGE waste of money.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Ya'll gimme' those "old" things and I'll put 'em outta' sight so nobody else has ta' look at 'em

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts