1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I broke out the scanner and attempted to scan some pictures. These are the two Operator models from Springfield. Don't know when they will be available or how much the dealers will charge for them.

Edit: I have tried rescanning these. How do they look now?

[This message has been edited by Paten (edited 02-22-2001).]

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Man, are these scans so bad nobody is interested? Doesn't anyone have anything to say about them?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by Paten:
Man, are these scans so bad nobody is interested? Doesn't anyone have anything to say about them?
I have something to say...I'd like to feel one up before I buy it...but I love the idea of having the tac light on it..I've got a Glock34 with the m3 on it and it's excellent to be able to flip the light on and of with a finger and still have one hand free. Wonder if they'll have the boxy style of the few other Springfields I've findled?? I'd wonder how hard it would be for a smith to mill rails(or something sufficient) to carry an m3 like that?

EDG

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
sorry Paten...

Thanks thanks thanks...I also like the idea of a taclight on my gun, especially in the home..so I don't have to strong hand my gun or use some flashlight technique. I'd be curious about the handling of one with the additional mass. but it shouldn't be any worse than the heavy IPSC guns used in limited. thanks again for posting the photos

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I'm signed on from work and the pictures are way dark. I guess I'll have to read the instructions that came with the scanner.

[This message has been edited by Paten (edited 02-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I think that's the prob...I know I couldn't see anything except a sort of dark blur, I already KNOW WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE, BUT it's not the same, is it?

I'm basically sold on SA anyway, The TRP or TPR and the Mil-spec were 2 out of three of my choices for a 1911 style pistol...All this new stuff is just gravy to me...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Blah on the full length dust cover. If I could ever find out if their functional, cosmetically the Sure-Fire 1911 housing is vastly superior to this. But there's got to be a reason they're so scarce, other than the fact that Sure-Fire seems reluctant to admit they even exist for some reason. They have a way to mount a light on almost every common service handgun in existence, but the Milleniums get all the ad copy.

TRB

·
Registered
164 Posts
Regarding the SUREFIRE light for the 1911, it is a good looking unit. The light itself is rugged, water resistant and very bright. The SLIMLINE switching system is excellent as well.

However, the 1911 unit has some downfalls. First of all, you have to replace the slide release lever on your gun with the one that SUREFIRE provides, as the light module mates to the slide release lever. This requires some minor fitting. As a result, the last round fired/slide lock typically does not work on many 1911s.

One of the reasons why the Millenium series gets all the ad copy is simply the sheer amount of money SUREFIRE has invested in the line. The original Millenium system for the 2nd gen Glocks was a fiasco (caused frame flex and jams) and SUREFIRE dumped a ton of money into re-engineering and tooling to get the units to work. Instead of redesigning a more functional, high speed unit, they made a rail to accomodate the existing Millenium light so that they would not lose money on the hundreds of units already manufactured before the Glock frame flex problem was discovered.

Tim

PS. I wonder how much the Operator models will run...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looking at the dealer catalog when I ordered my loaded 9mm and the operator models were $1200-$1400, or there abouts(respectively) mfg sug retail, from what I remember.

Also the m3 tac light is not very heavy at all.

Paten, the pics look much worse when looked at here than if saved and looked at in an imaging prog...I think the settings in the browser make the contrast off a bit or something. They look fine when not posted on the board(in netscrape anyway). I took the first one, edited the hue, sat, and contrast..sent it to photopoint and get the same dark pic.?.? go figure

EDG

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
It's strange that Springfield Armory would choose to mount the rear sight in that ugly "protected" position on the TRP Operator. It looks awful and gives up the big, uncluttered rear sight image of the BMCS-type sights.

Rosco

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Reminds me of my Detonics...great place to wrap your hand when breakin' the pistol down...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Much better!! That looks pretty cool. I wish Kimber would come out with something along those lines...but, unfortunately they have a hard enough time keeping up with the orders they have now.

I can't wait until my new Kimber rifle comes in. I don't want to harass them with a redesign of the 1911's !!!! That may slow my rifles down more.

------------------
Kimber Pro Elite off-duty

Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight on-duty.

My little corner of the net: http://communities.msn.com/TracysGunHaven

1 - 14 of 14 Posts