1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recall a while back a thread about an owner with a full length dust cover TRP Operator who sent his pistol back to SA because when sighted in the rear sight was extremly in the up position. I have done a search and can not find this thread/pictures deatailing the end resolution.

I recently found time to exercise my full dust cover Operator. Mine also requires the rear sight to be "fully" elevated" to acquire sight in with various loads at 15-25 yard ranges. I must only have a thread or two left in the elevation screw. I assume a shorter front sight is in order? Will I have to send the whole pistol to SA for relacement or just the slide? Having owned this pistol for some time before taking it to the range, will SA still warrnty correct sight replacement? Jeff

Edit to add pics, sorry about the quality, crapy camera.

01/11/08 Update below

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Call SA. They should cover that. They could send you a new shorter sight and the vertical pin. Or, you may be able to send the slide in to have them install the shorter sight for you.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
I saw a new SA Loaded that had the same problem. The rear was cranked way up. The one I looked at had a .185" front sight. Dropping that to a .165" would help. Not sure if that would be enough.
The real issue is the barrel links up too high.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just recieved a reply from Springfield Armory. The want the complete handgun sent in to look it over. Next week I'll send her off and wait and see what happens. Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
1/11/08 Update

Before Christmas, I sent this handgun to Springfield Warranty (carefully packed in the original SA box) for them to look at it. I also asked them to Armory coat the trigger while at their facility for an "all black look" and I would pay for the coating.

My Operator arrived Fed-Ex yesterday....
The good:Front sight replaced with a shorter one, 25 yard test target included (wow, awesome group. rear sight down position, POA dead one with Win. 230gr.) new elevation adjustment screw installed, Armory coated trigger. All service-no charge :)

The bad:Two deep L shaped scratches through the finish, made with a unknown pointed object on left side of slide behind "Operator," and a dent and rub mark on Pic rail. I immediatly called SA CS and spoke with Megan. Megan was more than helpful and asked that I re-send in the handgun. They will look over and possibly refinish because of new damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts