1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought sa trp operator with the skateboard grips get it in a few weaks. anybody else own one??? if so tell me how has she treated you, and also how sensitive is the finish????..... thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
the grips are great in the hand...but they're kinda a rip off when you take them off. They are just wooden grips with a spray coating over them...

I really love the gun, been using it a lot, taken it through about 15 IPSC practice sessions, the only way I'd do any better is using a shotgun...

Took the gun apart to the point of being able to take the ambi safety off and chopped it down some so it would fit with a pair of Crimson Trace Laser Grips...I'll have to take it to the range tomorrow to see if I put it back together right...

mikey

Attachments

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I liked mine just fine until one day I got to fiddling around and switched the grips with my SS TRP......Never went back :rolleyes:

In fact I bought another set of stock SA grips for the TRP and traded the Grit Grips to a member here in Finland.

The TRP Operator Grit Grips are just that, a spray on coating that in time will wear off.

If this happens to your's and you like the Grit Surface sand them down, paint to top black and apply Safety Grit Tape to the scales. The shuff is available at Home Depot in the paint deptment. A dollars worth should last you a couple of years.

Beware the rear sight.........It bites and bites hard if your hard happens to get in the way :confused:

Karsten

·
Registered
64 Posts
Karsten,

I am getting my operator trp this weekend , but the real question I have is : Tell me about the knife ! Is it custom , if not where can I get one ?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Gadget,

I knife was a knife design I came up with a few years ago in a Challenge Post on AW.net.

Bossman, posted a Challenge that who ever came up with the best design deal for a new pattern for him to make would get to have the 1st.

I think at one time the list waiting too get one just like it was over 20 people and he just couldn't make that many....I have the only one that ever got made :D

You might look him up at AW.net or a few of the Knife Maker boards.

Karsten

·
Registered
111 Posts
well so far i love mine, and its kinda weird, good in one sense and and bad in another.

ive got almost 3000 rounds threw it, the slide is pretty tight still, (which means good) problem is sometimes, i get a failure to feed after 80 rounds.

all and all the gun is great, the accuracy is great, and recoil isnt bad at all.

:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a TRP Operator and have set up 6 others for Active Duty Mil Operators and/or IPSC competitors. I am a Active Duty Mil Armorer supporting the Spec Ops and EOD
communities and repair hundreds of issue weapons a year. I also build full custom 2011’s and 1911’s and offer
custom set up and tuning of factory pistols to the operators needs ( off Duty hobby). IMO the SA TRP Operator is
the best .45 ACP you can currently buy. It needs minimal adjustment and tuning to the shooter. The Intel I
received 2 years ago from inside SA was that the pistol was priced wrong at its introduction ( was supposed to be
closer to the Pro Mod than the TRP ) if you have kept track the price is climbing and a gap between it and the TRP
is opening. They are simi -custom done in batches of 50 at a time ( for commercial sale) add into that the “ Agency
orders”, sometimes they are hard to find .

·
Registered
111 Posts
2011BLDR
cool, say you got any idea why i get some failure to feed all the way in on my TRP operator with like 3000 rounds threw it already?

if need be i can take a pic when it happens again?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Odysseys,
What is the bullet weight you are using? Good factory ammo? What magazines? Is the recoil spring stock? When the pistol is working after a shot where on the target is the front sight returning to and what is its relationship with the rear sight? One of the great advantages of a high end 1911 is its ability to be fine tuned to the shooter and the load. This allows the shooter to progress & keep adjusting the pistol to that progress keeping both in balance. I feel the factory recoil spring is to stiff for most shooters using standard presser ammo SA went way stiff to ensure that the gun would live if fed a steady diet of 185GR +P+ ( mil spec developed for mk23 ) or 185+P. If the recoil spring is to heavy the front sight returns lower on the target than where it was on the first shot & below the rear sight. This may also cause a short stroke of the slide & a FTF. If it is sprung to light the slide will “hang” at full recoil stroke expending that excess energy in to the frame causing muzzle flip when it finely starts FWD the stored energy is insufficient causing a FTF or the front sight to be higher than on the first shot & above the rear sight. When you have this FTF what fixes it. Bumping the rear of the slide? Or easing the slide back slightly and releasing it? Is the extractor engaging the case? Or what dose the slide feel like when you manually retract it and ease it FWD do you feel a heavy resistance to the slide having to overcome the disconnect on the FWD stroke? What if you do the same thing wile keeping the trigged depressed? Reactance indicates
excessive disconnect spring presser. Hope this helps, let me know what you find or if you need clarification. If you want specific recoil spring ranges I need your ammo info.
Out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
111 Posts
with most of the FTF's its been with winchester 230, but since i tuned the extractor the FTF % got knocked WAY down, before out of 200 rounds i was getting like 9-10 with that winchester.(the extraxtor was putting TO MUCH pressure on the round.

last time out i was using some of that same ammo, also winchester 185's some UMC 185's and i got 2 from the UMC and 1 from the 185 win, and 1 from the 230 win.

magazines, power 10's and also got the FTF with the stock 7 round mags.

as far as front site return?...i want to say with out REALLY taking notes on that, is that the front site needs to be pulled down slightly after discharging. my grip on the 1911 is ROCK hard, and as so ive noticed ALOT more tight groups at 25 feet with a rythm of 1 shot per second and group per 10 rounds is a plum size # 25 feet

when i do get the FTF 1/2 the round is in the barrel, and the rear 1/2 is at an upward angle (getting ramped up into the barrel) thats where its hanging up, if i hit or HIT the slide up, 9 out of 10 it wont move, in which i tap, rack, bang. and problem solved, when ever i do get the FTF and i clear that funky round that didnt ramp, i load it back into the magazine by itsself, rack the slide and no problem it chambers and it fires.

so hope that helps discribes whats going on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Odysseys,
Sounds like the recoil spring is to heavy . Try a wolf 18.5 LB VARIABLE. I have no experience with the power mag I only use and recommend the Wilson mags in .45 ACP
Out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
93 Posts
and for those of you that are always looking for a holster that fits the TRP Op, I have found that the Safariland #560 fits....it's a leather paddle holster. I bought one off ebay a few days ago for when my V12 is released to me (10 day wait in Ca.) and I was supprised the TRP Op slipped in. I would take a little fiddling to make it come out lighting fast, (playing with the supplied little bushings & fittings) but just to have it go in to a holster and come out again was such a surprise...

Now back to the regular programing...

I was gonna suggest if the ammo is hanging up feeding, it may be the overall length of the cartridge. The last batch of reloaded ammo I just got has a few 'short' ones and 'long' ones in it. I bought a digital micromameter (I can't spell) and I sat around one night measuring the ammo. I pulled the short ones and long ones out and fired off about 140 rounds without a hitch. I didn't check the next batch, (lazy) and I got 4 falilure to feed rounds out of 160 shot. I've started checking each batch before I go and shoot, so I'll know more tomorrow.

Just a thought....

mikey

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, boys soon I will be able to let you guys know for a fact, maybe next week Tuesday, but I hope before that cause I got another match Monday night.

Anyway, I think it was the extractor!
i have never had to tune one but i found some info off the site how to do it, and followed it and from way back when i had a ton of FTF it kinda solved it but now, i think it was STILL pitched in to much, i was loading round after round, and holding up the slide from racking hard, and sure enough, round after round, it was getting caught like it when it showed its ugly head on the range, looked down where the round was at and noticed the extractor tip was way to arched into the rounds casing, started ajusting, and NOW with hardly any slide action, it FLY'S up into the bore, and then i did another extractor test by sliding the round under it and seeing if it still does hold good, and ye ha, it does, and even throws all the rounds in a pile.

SO i think it again was the extractor not being tuned correctly.

Hope I am right but I cant think of why it wouldn't be sweet as apple pie from now on.

Ill let you guys know for a fact when firing rounds threw it. Thanks guys for all your help on this site, and all the tips and info with helping each other.

great site, and great people!:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Odysseys,
Extractor was one of the possible areas I was thinking about when I asked “When you have this FTF what fixes it. Bumping the rear of the slide? Or easing the slide back slightly and releasing it? Is the extractor engaging the case? “ I wanted to eliminate the easiest things first because I did not know how much tuning you were willing to try yourself. Hope everything works out.
Out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
111 Posts
well sure enough my baby is working like BUTTA!

went threw 120 rounds last night at the combat shoot, and my baby was kicking ASS!

took second place, and didnt have one problem with her at all!

now only if this baby had some warning on it..WARNING RUNNING LOW ON AMMO CHANGE MAG NOW YOU IDIOT!

hahahahahah :biglaugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts