1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you all feel regarding private citizens having a CCW? The department in my are is more or less split 50/50.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If Illinois would ever annex Chicago to Wisconsin, we would be able to get CCW's here..I am one police officer whom supports them all the way!!!.....:rock:

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
We don't require CCW's here in South Africa, and are automatically entitled to carry licensed firearms concealed. Having grown up with it in this country, I too am 100% for it, whether that be here or in the United States without question.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I feel any citizen should have the ability to get a CCW, assuming they haven't been convicted of a felony or have documented serious mental issues. I have been an officer for 11 years, and I am much more concerned about the people who are carrying that can't legally carry!

Troy

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you search this forum under that subject, you will find that a vast majority of the LEOs contributing to this forum are pro CHL.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I guess I'll chime in from the other side of the line...

In my experiance with LEOs (outside of the ones I know from the range, which are very pro-2A), CCW isnt a big deal. I've never been disarmed, and some haven't even asked to see my permission slip.

Before I got my CHP, I was sort of disarmed once. I had my pistol laying in the passenger seat to comply with NC's car carry law, when I told the officer this, he simply had me step out of the car. Other than sitting on my trunklid until he left, it was pretty much a usual stop.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Unless somebody is the kind of person who despises public gun ownership, the truth is allowing CCW's simply means more folks are willing to submit to background checks and be on file prior to their carrying a weapon, so many LEO's are okay with it. Without CCW's the people who want to carry a firearm often will do it anyway. At least when CCW's are legal, if you find somebody carrying who doesn't have one there's less argument over what they are doing with it. In WA state, since CCW's are so easy to obtain, if an LEO finds you carrying a firearm without one he/she has authority to act under the assumption that you were intending to commit a crime with it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm in Texas and have always been a supporter of CCW.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If a LEO encounters a person with a CCW permit, he should know that this person is not a felon or someone with a criminal background because that person has been checked and cleared by the FBI and local systems.

I have my CCW here in NC. Even though we have CCW here, you can't carry where you need to most. Too many restrictions. I'm sure the bad guys follow the rules too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have always felt that if someone was of sound mind and clean record, there is no reason they shouldn't be allowed to protect themselves or the ones that they love.

Not all cops feel this way though. My sergeant is of the opinion that only cops should have guns. He and I have argued the issue at great lengths. He is entitled to his opinon...no matter how wrong he is.

I will give you a perfect example of his failed logic and this is what usually shuts him up on the issue. When he was going through his divorce, he stored his guns in one of those "rental storage" thingies and guess what? It got busted into and all his guns were stolen.

Now every time we get on the subject, I remind him of his lack of responsibility by not having those guns in a safe of some kind. I have a safe and it would be just as easy for me to store it with the guns in it than just wrapping them up in blankets. I like to remind him that he is the only person that I know of that has let that many guns get into the wrong hands.

It maddens him almost as bad as when we get on the Clinton legacy. He is a big supporter of Hillary and Bill.

Most real cops support it and most high level administrators don't for fear of hurting their political "image". Real cops know that if the populace were not able to defend themselves, we would have social chaos.

Most criminals are petrified of the armed homeowner....much more so than of LEOs. I hope that everyone of my neighbors has at least one gun in their homes. Such policy keeps the crime rate low.

First post, by the way. Seems to be a good place to unwind.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I am retired but was/am a big supporter of civilian ccw. I knew that I couldn't be everywhere to protect everyone, so it just made sense. Most line officers I knew supported it but as you go higher in the ranks, support dwindled.

·
Registered
341 Posts
When I was sworn in as a Peace Officer in the state of Washington, I recall something about upholding the constitution. I believe the 2nd amendment is part of that document, therefore regardless of my opinion, I am to uphold a persons right to keep and bear arms. That said, I am a strong supporter of concealed carry.

"An armed society is a polite society"

Wish I knew who I was quoting!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm from Texas as well....and I'll admit...that before 10/16/91, when a nutcase named George Hennard drove through the front windows of Luby's in Killeen TX (15 miles from where I live), I never gave the CHL law much thought. After that, and listening to Susan Gratia Hupp, who watched her mother and father die there, I became one of the CHL's biggest fans and even got mine in one of the first classes after the CHL was first offered here. I've been a police officer for 11 years now...and my CHL has since expired, but should I ever get out of law enforcement (which before this new job came along was a likely possibility) I will definately get my CHL renewed again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am reserve officer here in MI.... when I carry off duty, I do on authority of my CCW, as reserves are not certified officers here in Michigan and can't qualify to carry under the same law. All the CCW's I have dealth with while on duty (traffic stops), have always been very courtious and told myself and my partner right away about their weapon as required by Michigan Law. I am Pro-CCW for sure.

·
Registered
514 Posts
maybe this a little off topic and not being leo,why are lot of the higer ranks not in favor of ccw?from reading these fourms this is wide spread .is it THAT political?they dont trust the public?they lean that far to the left?or in fear of those that do that,s above them? i mean were they not line officer,s themself,s once?this would be the reasoning behind the gun confiscation,s in new orleans by the cheif,which i still would like to hear from him ,as to how he had the right.

·
Registered
149 Posts
rustywood said:
maybe this a little off topic and not being leo,why are lot of the higer ranks not in favor of ccw?from reading these fourms this is wide spread .is it THAT political?they dont trust the public?they lean that far to the left?or in fear of those that do that,s above them? i mean were they not line officer,s themself,s once?this would be the reasoning behind the gun confiscation,s in new orleans by the cheif,which i still would like to hear from him ,as to how he had the right.
Chief's are for the most part a appointed postitions, that normally come down from the Mayor's Office. I am a Police Chief, however it is for a small agency. I have a total of 7 sworn officers, 1 reserve/Aux and and civilian employee. My standpoint on CCW is different from my fellow Chief's. I SUPPORT the right to carry as long as they have a good clean record, i.e. felonies/crimes of violence.

I just finished a conference in Springfield with 200 other Chiefs from Illinois. I can say that I was a minority in this catagory. However, I was impressed with the amount of Chief's that would support CCW.

Right now we are in our own fight to keep our retired Chief's/Officers carrying.

Tom:cool:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts