1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally look for Mini-14 but some ranges do not allow .223 caliber shooting in their range. They allow only handgun-caliber, that's why I am looking at PC9.

Could you please give your opinion on these two rifles ?

Also, where can I go to shoot .223 caliber if no range accepts it ?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Go to an outdoor range. Some indoor ranges allow .223 if they have the proper bullet trap for it.

Anyway, I had a Mini-14, and I hated it. It's inaccurate and high-quality factory high capacity magazines are hard to come by. Go for an AR-15 carbine if you want a plinking rifle. A Bushmaster M4 carbine is the way to go.

As for the Ruger PC9, I have no clue. You would be better off getting an AR-15 for home defense since .223 has better penetration and fragmentation characteristics.

themao

·
Registered
287 Posts
Perhaps an AR-15 would be better but they are illegal here in the PRK.
The Mini-14 is still legal.
As for a place to shoot .223 look for the Angeles Shooting Range near the San Fernando Valley.
If you are near L.A. it is supposed to be a nice outdoor range.

Believe me, if the AR's were still legal I'd buy one!

[This message has been edited by Kestryll (edited 09-29-2001).]

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Mini-14 is a good gun, although not quite as accurate as a AR-15. I've used Thermold mags and USA mags. The Thermold are excellent, the USA's are not so good. I have three Ruger factory 30 rounders that I take real good care of.

The rifle is accurate enough for it's purpose. At 100 yards, I can always keep the rounds within 3.5" to 4" using the factory iron sights. Mine is not a Ranch Rifle, so mounting a scope is not as easy.

With the price difference between the Mini and an AR, you can buy alot of ammo and magazines.

I wouldn't bother with the PC9, unless you just don't like shooting outdoors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive had a PC9 for 2 years ...no problems at all. Im using a red dot sight and its very accurate, but I wouldnt try to reach out past 50 yards. Cant beat it for the price.

·
Registered
975 Posts
OOOOOOPPS!!!!!!!!

My bad. I forgot about California. Well, you need to move to another state

Well, if you have to get a Mini-14, get the stainless steel version with a synthetic stock in .223. As for high cap magazines, I thought it was illegal to ship them to California?? You're out of luck in that department too, unless you got a buddy that can give them to you from out of state. They usually run like $60-100 for a good quality 20 or 30 round factory magazine. They're well worth the price though. Ruger will still send you new springs and followers if need be I think.

In all honesty, if you need a home defense weapon and want a semi-auto, go for a Benelli M1 tactical shotgun (I hope those aren't banned either). With a 2-shot magazine extension, they hold 7+1 rounds of 00 buckshot, enough to purify the thoughts of any intruder. If you really want a target rifle or something for general plinking in .223, go for a bolt action rifle if high caps are going to be a problem. Remington Model 700s are great deals and good varmit guns.

Just my two cents.

themao

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had a Ruger PC-40. Loved it. Shot to point of aim. Extremely low recoil also. Magazines were easily obtained also.

If you get a Ruger, get the .40S&W. Better ballistics, same money. Also get a buttstock magazine pouch from Uncle Mike's. I never had any jams or failures in two years.

Just be careful when stripping the Ruger. It has a small aluminum ring about the size of a dime that will fall out and get lost VERY EASILY!!!!! Without it, the gun will not work. I know. I lost mine and went ahead and got four extra when I ordered it from Ruger. Don't worry, they cost about 25 cents apiece.

The Ruger is cheaper up front, but you will pay a little more for the ammo. Both it and the AR15 are well worth the money. And I am pretty sure the Ruger is California legal.

Just my $.02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts