1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might do it tomorrow (a CQB Compact). Any opinions or side-by-side photos of stainless vs. black finish?

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
The stainless guns from Wilson are excellent builds. I have seen a number of stainless framed Classics and CQB's and they all run fine. The debate seems to be over non-refelective finishes which I might listen to if you're in Wherisitstan but for places like Alaska it's a good idea. It cleans up easy and will keep your gat looking sharp.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
100% satisfied with my Stainless Protector. I'm a big stainless fan. Something bad happens, a simple bead blast brings it back to new.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I might be in the minority, but I prefer carbon steel guns over stainless. Why? Because, in my limited experience, carbon steel guns run smoother and the fit lasts longer. I can feel the difference in cycling between a stainless gun and a carbon steel gun. Not too much difference, but I can feel it. To me the great advantage of stainless is there is no metal finish, something that was great when most guns were either blued or parkerized. With the advent of great finishes like hard chrome and Ion Bond, the advantage of stainless is lessened.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
farscott said:
I might be in the minority, but I prefer carbon steel guns over stainless. Why? Because, in my limited experience, carbon steel guns run smoother and the fit lasts longer. I can feel the difference in cycling between a stainless gun and a carbon steel gun. Not too much difference, but I can feel it. To me the great advantage of stainless is there is no metal finish, something that was great when most guns were either blued or parkerized. With the advent of great finishes like hard chrome and Ion Bond, the advantage of stainless is lessened.
This is true but hard chrome does not tolerate any kind of salty environment and I have yet to see a black finish that doesn't eventually wind up in the raw, even though some of the multi layered types still protect it from corrosion. I like Black T and Armor Tuff for my own guns. However, I have yet to try Ion Bond. If longlasting durability is a priority, it's hard to contend with stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
ColtLover said:
If longlasting durability is a priority, it's hard to contend with stainless steel.
That pretty much sums it up.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
If you want to see a pretty carry finish, bead blast it to a subdued silver. Anyone can do it, and whenever you need! That's the way Ed Brown puts out his stainless Kobras.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
:) Have three all stainless Wilsons. No problems with any of the three, of course, the fourth that is not stainless, gives no problems too. I like stainless because you do not have to worry about scuffing or wearing the finish off.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've been carrying my Wilson Protector in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for about a year now. The pistol still looks like it did the day I received it with no holster marks at all.
That is what I like most about the stainless, great durability against wear.
Some might say that a stainless gun is too shiny and is easy to spot. Well, since mine is carried concealed, the only time it will be seen is when it is drawn and ready for use. In that case, I'd want to slug to see that it is a 1911 pointed at him and not some black thing that could just as well be a BlackBerry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts