1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear mixed reviews on Hornady Ammunition for defensive use. I know they recently introduced the TAP FPD ammo with the black case, but I haven't heard much about its performance. Can anybody set me straight on Hornady?

·
Administrator
13,406 Posts
Mixed reviews ?

I've only seen positive reviews .

Hornady's XTP bullet has proven to give excellent penetration and good expansion . We've sold it since it's introduction . The "black" case is a coating to prevent corrosion . You won't be disappointed .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like the Federal Hydra Shok, Speer Gold Dot, and quite a few other "wonderbullets" the XTP bullet was developed as a result of the percieved failure of Winchester Silvertips in the FBI shootout in Miami.
I've tested and used XTPs for my home defense ammunition for quite a while (Although it's all theory, as I've not used a single round of XTP in ernest.). Factory XTP pistol ammunition is loaded to velocitys approaching Cor-Bon ammunition which is another plus in my book.
The TAP rifle ammunition is basically varmit ammunition under another name. They use hight velocities and bullets with a light jacket to prevent over penetration. Just another tool in your toolbox, to be used for a specific application. Invaluable under the proper circumstances, useless under others.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had good results using the TAP ammo and have only stopped due to my agency issuing a different ammo. It feeds very well in 45acp, like the hydra shock.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm not sure about the terminal ballistics thing, but I've used the Hornady 185, 200, and 230 grain XTP factory ammo (standard P, not +P) in all of my 1911s. My guns gobble them up with no issues. I've often wondered why you don't hear or read more about the Hornady loadings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.