1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe the last "help" thread I start but I'm picky and I'm trying to get enough info. to know if I'm headed down the right path.

I'm looking for honest opinions especially from those who have owned both.

The choices I've set myself up for are:

#1 - Order a brand new Pro Carry HD II from my dealer for about $810 total box stock, or ad options from there up to about $1085 which includes night sights and front strap checkering (either, both or neither for now) I'm leaning towards holding off on the sights until I know what, if any, change I want. If so, $950 range.

#2 - Buy a pre-owned Series I HD with night sights that's had a known 200-220 rounds though it and what is believed to be very few rounds by the original owner. Current owner says it has never had one problem. Total would be in the $650 range including an extra mag case, lock doc's etc..

I know a lot of it is subjective and opinion and everyone has one and I already know what a few of you will say before I submit this thread. :D Also, money isn't the issue, it's value and what makes sense. I like the idea of buying a fresh, new gun but know it's like a car: it smells and looks good, but it's gonna get dirty and isn't worth what you paid for it for more than 5 minutes.

Polls are usually annoying so I'm subduing the urge. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Jump on the used one...they're hard to find! That's not even broken in yet.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Jump on the used one...they're hard to find! That's not even broken in yet.
Agreed, that's not even a good day at the range.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'd go with the used one too. You can use the other $200 or so for ammo, holster, etc. Plus... Kimber will still honor the warranty if it is ever needed.
Tomcatt

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Comparable guns, it's actually $264 savings. :D

Either way, I "pulled the trigger". :cool:

If the other guy looking at it but missed it, is also on here, sorry. :rofl:

The night sights are Novak tritium and have what the seller said were odd scratches that were there when he bought it.. I have close up pics now and it's obvious (I think) someone installed the sights manually instead of having them installed right and wasn't real careful. But it's only minor cosmetics and worse case, the sight can be replaced if it turns out to be that bad. I might not even like them.

So get ready for all the dumb a$$ newbee "how do I...?", "why is...?" "what does...?" questions I'll probaly have in a week or 2. ;)

On the upside, there'll be no break in questions. :p On the downside, I'll have "what's the best cleaner...lube...etc. questions. (ya I know, I've already been searching and getting those answers but I wouldn't be a good newbee if I didn't ask the basics again. :rofl: )

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was in the same situation a couple months ago. Bought the used Pro Carry, not the series II. It's a great shooter and had about $300. worth of extras the previous owner had installed, all for $650. The only thing I plan to change are the sights, I'll be putting on Heinie straight eight night sights in the near future. IMHO the kimber mags aren't worth a crap, get yourself some Wilson 47 or 47D's. Your Kimber will love you for it. Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll see how it shoots. The seller said it's never had any issue in the few rounds he's ran though it. I'm hoping it's just less picky. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Here's a Pro Carry SLE, the predecessor of the HD with a few mods...

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
SRJim said:
Comparable guns, it's actually $264 savings. :D

Either way, I "pulled the trigger". :cool:

If the other guy looking at it but missed it, is also on here, sorry. :rofl:

The night sights are Novak tritium and have what the seller said were odd scratches that were there when he bought it.. I have close up pics now and it's obvious (I think) someone installed the sights manually instead of having them installed right and wasn't real careful. But it's only minor cosmetics and worse case, the sight can be replaced if it turns out to be that bad. I might not even like them.

So get ready for all the dumb a$$ newbee "how do I...?", "why is...?" "what does...?" questions I'll probaly have in a week or 2. ;)

On the upside, there'll be no break in questions. :p On the downside, I'll have "what's the best cleaner...lube...etc. questions. (ya I know, I've already been searching and getting those answers but I wouldn't be a good newbee if I didn't ask the basics again. :rofl: )

:) .... If that's a Series I HD I'd sure like to see a picture of it.... :)

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Smart move, I was gonna ask you where it was in case you didn't buy it! Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you already posted that pic in another thread, and said who did it, but who did the dimpling? And is the grip safety dimpled also or replaced with one?

Dang, who knew you could modify a gun so much. I can't leave anything alone and thought I'd get to buy something and just use it. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
The golfball treatment on the front strap and MSH are from Chuck Rogers. The grip safety is stock from Ed Brown.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts