1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped by a pawn shop by one of my offices. There's a 6" 586 nickel plated no dash in well used condition. The cylinder does have slight movement on lockup, but the timing is right on for every chamber. Not much flame cutting at all, and the lands , grooves and crown are sharp. The finish isn't all that great and the original grips are replaced with some that have finger grooves and the s&w seal. Price is $799, usual pawn shop bend over price. Would $450-500 be a reasonable offer?

They also have a Dan Wesson 8" blued that's in similar condition, but does not have the other barrels, listed for $499. It's actually a little rougher. Would $350-400 be reasonable? Didn't get to check timing, lunch was ending.

Just curious as to y'all's thoughts.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Be very, very sure those grips on the 586 aren't factory combats before you write them off. Factory combats are smooth, varnished, and have finger grooves and the nickle S&W shield, and K or L frame examples (they're the same, of course) bring quite a premium on their own these days.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just for comparison I recently bought a 686 no dash 6" in perfect condition no scratches etc. It had the original target stocks & no play in lockup. Price was $479 which I thought was a steal. If the one you saw has factory Combats that does add some value but I myself won't buy a gun for the grips.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be very, very sure those grips on the 586 aren't factory combats before you write them off. Factory combats are smooth, varnished, and have finger grooves and the nickle S&W shield, and K or L frame examples (they're the same, of course) bring quite a premium on their own these days.
Wow, I didn't realize they could be factory grips. They look like these:

That makes me feel better, but the cylinder play on lockup concerns me. If the timing is right, but there's cylinder movement on lockup, is that a big concern? I'd be worrying about stress on the forcing cone, bullet shaving, etc. Is that an inexpensive fix at a competent 'smith?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice.

What about a nickel finish that is fair/not good. The nickel isn't flaking off, but it's in fairly poor condition. Not that I care, but I don't want to overpay, especially if the cylinder lockup needs work. This would be a shooter, and would probably only see magnum loads, probably hotter magnum loads.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The nickel finish should clean up with Flitz or Mother's Mag polish. Take a magnifying glass to see if it is "cloudy" and so, I might pass unless it can be bought for a really good price.

Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I think it was definitely cloudy, like it couldn't be polished out with fitz. Or it would not be brought back to a mirror finish. It had the look of matte stainless.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Just a thought, if the nickel finish looks like matte stainless could it be hard chromed? If it's like that all over instead of high wear areas it could be an aftermarket job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts