1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna 12 ga for hd but dont want to spend much money, reason being, first off got a safe or 2 full of everything under the sun and of adding. i want a cheap shotgun for hd to put under my bed, it wont be put in the safes, it will just stay under the bed,if i got a more expensive gun then i would have to put it in the safe,we all get up a little late in the morning and things get rushed, so thats the reason for a cheap gun that you wont mind too much if its gets stolen.found a mossberg maverick at a pawn shop for 120 bucks.is that an ok deal and how does the maverick hold up?of course i always have my little sp101 where ever i go including in the dresser drawer at night

·
Registered
633 Posts
I worked at a gun shop for a couple years and quit Dec. of 2006, and we sold the Maverick Model 88's, they are pump 12ga shotguns, and are identical in almost every way to a Mossberg Model 500. We sold them new for $129.99 if I am remembering right. That pawn shop should take $100.00 for a used one in like new condition.
We had 2 of them brought back to the store with the same problem. Something was wrong with the chambers, when the customer/s shot a shell, then pumped the action, the bolt would pull out and eject the brass casing, and leave the plastic hull inside the chamber! At first, I thought that the customer/s might be using cheap shells or too long shells. One guy had it happen with Remington Express Long Range #5 2.75" (a high quality, high brass load, I use these for hunting) and the other guy had it happen with some low powered Winchester AA target loads!
Now, I'm not saying that they are ALL going to have that problem, I just remember this happening with 2 customers... I must have sold 100 Model 88's while I worked there!
I would pay $100 for it, and it would be fine for a weapon under the bed, that wont get a lot of range time. If I were going to do any hunting, or any substantial target shooting, pay the extra $45 - $55 and get a Mossberg 500.
I do know that chokes, barrels, and stocks are all interchangeable with the Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500... they are the same gun , except the Maverick has synthetic stocks. In my opinion, they probably make them all on the same assembly line, and the receivers and barrels that don't measure up perfectly, or have slight cosmetic defects, or other things, gets stamped Maverick, instead of Mossberg... Kinda like the way Intel makes Pentiums and Celerons on the same assembly line, the ones that pass the onboard cache tests get marked Pentium, the ones that have errors get their onboard cache locked at 256k (instead of 1024/2048) and marked Celeron. (I own a PC repair/sales business, only way I could think of to compare this lol).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Another difference between the Mossberg and Maverick is the location of the safety. I prefer the location of the Mossberg, but that's just me. If you are looking for the perfect home defense shotgun, you may want to consider a short-barrelled "coach gun." These are side-by-side shotguns made by a wide variety of companies. You might find a good deal on one at your favorite pawn shop or local gun shop.

You mention one thing that kinda made me pause - ...we all get up a little late in the morning and things get rushed... Maybe a pump shotgun would be better with a lock on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts