1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting back in to the 1911 market in the next few months. In the past I've owned a full-sized parkerized Colt 1991 and a parkerized Kimber Classic. Eventually I had to sell both but I miss having a 1911 in my collection.

I'm looking at the 1991's again because, for me, they are the most visually pleasing 1911 on the market. Call me strange, but I actually prefer the "old school" look it has. I vastly prefer vertical to angular slide serrations, and I like a spur hammer better than a skeletonized commander one.

My Kimber was a little more accurate than my Colt (due to the crisper trigger I'm sure) but both were 100% reliable in the short time I had them.

I'm just wondering what the consensus is on the current production 1991's. I like the fact that they are $100 to $150 cheaper than the Kimbers and Springfields, but I'm curious if the quality is there or not.

Any opinions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just bought another 1991, I love it. I had one before this and traded it out for a much more "upgraded" Kimber(of which I had 2). I found that it would not do to be without the '91 though and bought the current one. Sold the Kimbers as I found that what I thought I needed was more along the lines of shiny baubles. The new 1991 is excellent. I has a stainless steel barrel which the other did not have. It shoots great and is reliable. As you know you will not go wrong with one!

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Administrator
74,039 Posts
If you like the looks of the M1991A1 I say go for it. Reliability of either will be about equal. In other words, odds are that either one will be 100% reliable, with a small chance you'll get one that needs a little fine-tuning.

I am noting with interest that there has been a resurgence in popularity of the "mil-spec" styled 1911. Beginning in the late 80's people thought you just weren't "with it" unless you had a completely decked-out custom 1911. It quickly reached the point where people were buying brand-new guns, then sending them off to a pistolsmith for a full-house "custom package" (an oxymoron) before having even fired a single shot out of it first.

For a brief while I had a fling with custom guns, and I modified several of my own. Once I returned to liking mil-spec guns though I began to regret having altered them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 1991A1. I bought one a few months ago and I love it. Like dsk, I went through the "gotta have custom" thing several years ago, but the older I get, the more I tend to leave my guns stock.-TR

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I would buy a Colt of any kind over any thing else right now. Colt is producing a very good product these days.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The Colt 1991s are great! I would put them in line with the kimbers and springfields I have owned. Plus, I am in that playing stage DSK and Tango speak of right now (due to hit pistol puberty soon
) and you can do all kinds of fun tuning to them with out altering the frame or slide. Tons O" fun options that when I shake the bug I can put it back to right....the way it came from the fatory

Cheers
Ty

------------------
Cheers Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,331 Posts
I bought a '91 as a base for a "full house custom", then decided to do just some minor upgrades to the internals and sights. I'm also a big fan of the classic 1911 look, and when choosing my mods, was much more influenced by my M1911 than by the latest whizz-bang custom guns.

·
Registered
370 Posts
a 1991 will be my next 1911 gun i get. with an action job you can get the most accuracy out of it that will compete with the high dollar kimbers and maintain the old skool look

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My new 1991 is the best Colt quality I have seen in 20 years on a Colt 1911 in terms of fit and function. No machine marks visible externally. A good, crisp trigger out of the box! Proper barrel fit!
And the matte blue finish is excellent, albeit utilitarian, but the new machined slide flats elevate the aesthetics a bit.
I believe these new Colts are a bargain compared to their Springfield and Kimber competition. Make mine a Colt!

·
Registered
293 Posts
i love the two i have, they are good guns, i like the plain "GI" look that these have. i don't have the money to go buy an old 1911, and the 1991A1 fills the void nicely. i trust my life to mine everyday!!!

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've had mine for 1 month and 500 rounds...only complaint is a smooth but heavy trigger. Not sure if I'll have the trigger worked on, but I do know I enjoy shooting it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I'll place my order for a new matte 1991A1 this next week. My dealer doesn't have any in stock so I'm probably going to buy it from an online source.

I'll be sure to post again when I get it and give a quick review.

Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts