1911Forum banner

Opinions Needed

2299 32
Now that I have had my 10mm CBOB for a couple of weeks I am starting to dream about what to do next. I have an order coming tomorrow from Lancer ammo that should break her in just right. Then, I hope, its off to Dave for some work. I also should receive tomorrow a pair of olive/grey alumagrips. Heres where I need some helpful opinions. This particular CBOB has no checkering or serrations on the frontstrap or MSH. What would you do? Serrations, checkering, or nothing on the frontstrap and/or MSH. Or maybe something as yet unexplored by me. I love the feel of the checkering on my PM-1 but read in another thread that they are damaged relativly easily in comparison to serrations. Where should I go from here?:scratch:
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.

Also, would you do the frontstrap, MSH or both?

· Registered
13 Posts
Snag...

I don't know that the checkering on the MSH has a true practical value, but it does help complete the gun aesthically (sp?) if you are going to checker the front strap.

Have a great new year.

Regards,
GaryF

· Registered
94 Posts
Both

I've had the frontstrap done and a snakeskin msh installed. I'd agree that the fs has more impact on control but I'm hoping the msh has alot to do with indexing. Probably a little hard to know, but what the heck....it looks good too.

· Registered
19 Posts
I wouldnt do either one on a CCW weapon, as it could snag on clothes. If you get davidson G-10 grips you may find thats all you need. If it doesnt give you the grip you desire you can always have them checked later on.

· Registered
19 Posts
Shootcraps said:
That's a new one. How could clothing possibly snag on front strap checkering? :scratch:

I didnt say the front, did I :p plus I said it COULD :D I dont have it on my CBOB, nor do I need them, the G-10 grips work well for me

ETA next time I wont offer my opinion, I say go ahead and spend 200.00 plus for checkering, if you dont like the feel, well at least it looks cool.

· Registered
2,196 Posts
Dave Severns said:
Um...as you pull up the cover garment (think loose sweatshirt) over the grip... :)

Well........that sounds like a bit of a stretch to me. Have you been sneakin' into Iggy's Stump Blower? ;) But in the quest for knowledge...........

I slipped my PT-CBOBC into my Bianchi Minimalist holster. Then I put on a loose sweatshirt and tried pulling it up over the gun. Try as I might, I just couldn't induce a snag. Then I pressed the sweatshirt up against the frontstrap and tried to snag it but no joy.

I think the checkering is so fine that the chance of snagging clothing on it is somewhere close to zero. :)

· Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hhhmmmmm, and I thought this would clarify things for me. :scratch: Keep the opinions coming please. And thanks for the replies so far.

· Registered
127 Posts
As I see it, it is a personal choice based on your aesthetic. Old school, new school, new wave, avante guard or gauche. I personally like checkering , but was unhappy with the stock checkering on my new CBOB and sent the gun to Dave Sams for a complete makeover. He is redoing the checkering, sharpening it, and I selected an arrowhead pattern serration for the mainspring housing. He of course is doing a complete functional makeover and we are doing the black stainless which has been described and pictured in previous picture threads. I can't wait to see it and show everyone what Dave has done. But back to you. Please look at the picture threads and choose what pleases you from an aesthetic standpoint, not from a functional one. IMO it's all about making it yours, something that tickles you, makes you want to take it out and handle it, look at it in different lights, and then go out and enjoy shooting it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.