1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions or thoughts on the Colt XSE?

I have this one exactly and wanted to know how this pistol rates in terms of quality.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q7-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx#

I'm just curious what you guys think. I love the 1911 design, and i tend to shoot this pistol well, but am considering getting another 1911 type but from another manufacturer. I sometimes get an FTF (failure to function...not fire), and might like to use this as a carry weapon.

I'd love to hear your comments on the XSEs...

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
I have the Combat Commander XSE and it has been a joy to shoot. The rear site loosened up, as it does with a lot of them, but with a little BLUE loctite, on the set screw, It has not loosened back up. Colt has been doing better in resent years. Don't be afraid to buy one, or two. :) By the way. WELCOME HERE Spit.:rock:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.
I currently own one, but it's in a nice box on it's way back to West Hartford to get checked out.
I've been getting some Failure to Functions on the last round, as the spent shell gets stuck in the opening!
Also, during disassembly or reassembly, the slide gets "stuck", and it's almost impossible to move unless I put the muzzle on the floor and use my body weight to "shove" the slide loose....
Hopefully it's nothing major, and they'll be able to tell me what's going on. I've got about 2000 rounds through it I guess, but I never EVER had this problem before.
Good to know it's supposed to be a good gun.
FYI, my rear sights are different than the pic, just a simple set-up, no screw or anything.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I love mine, It's a Tuck driver, it eats anything you feed it and uses wilson 47d, cmc,checkmates and colt magazines w/ out any issues

I've since replace grip safety w/ a SA Beavertail.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The majority of new Colt users are pretty well satisfied (they are the ones who seldom feel the need to post!) and Colt does stand behind their guns with good factory warranty service - so ultimately no worries about getting stuck with a bad one.

Better metal, holds value well, and a large part of American History since 1836 - in your Holster or your Hand! CC

·
Registered
472 Posts
Xse

I've got a couple XSE's - a government model and a LW commander. I've shot many many rounds through both of them at various handgun matches here locally and have no complaints. I've had some work done to both of them by my 1911 smith (beavertail, dehorn, thumb safety, sights, and a few other of my favorite modifications). The XSE is great out of the box and also a great base gun to build a custom 1911 to ones own specifications. :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Best new Colt I have ever bought over the years, no malfunctions from day one. Just had to adjust and then loctite the set screw for the rear sight.
That's it in the center.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.
I currently own one, but it's in a nice box on it's way back to West Hartford to get checked out.
I've been getting some Failure to Functions on the last round, as the spent shell gets stuck in the opening!
Also, during disassembly or reassembly, the slide gets "stuck", and it's almost impossible to move unless I put the muzzle on the floor and use my body weight to "shove" the slide loose....
Hopefully it's nothing major, and they'll be able to tell me what's going on. I've got about 2000 rounds through it I guess, but I never EVER had this problem before.
Good to know it's supposed to be a good gun.
FYI, my rear sights are different than the pic, just a simple set-up, no screw or anything.
I had one that was doing the same thing on the last round. I didn't send it back, but discovered on my own that the gun did not like the 8 round mags, but loved the 7 round mags.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Gents,

I have a Model O8011XSE. Outside of the initial recall to replace a defective part there have been no problems. Colt's recall, service/replacement part, and return took a total of 8 days...round trip!!!

Function before and after has been flawless with anything I've fired including my 230 gr LRN handloads.

A worthy carry piece, IMHO.

Wes

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't own one, but as with all Colts I love them. I'm not crazy about the front cocking serrations, wish they'd left those off. Therefore, I prefer your basic Government Model. But what the heck____XSE's are great guns and you won't be unhappy with it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've got a couple XSE's - a government model and a LW commander. I've shot many many rounds through both of them at various handgun matches here locally and have no complaints. I've had some work done to both of them by my 1911 smith (beavertail, dehorn, thumb safety, sights, and a few other of my favorite modifications). The XSE is great out of the box and also a great base gun to build a custom 1911 to ones own specifications. :)
I have a couple XSEs, CC and LWC that I'm having similar work done with grip and thumb safties. However, I'm not yet dehorning them. Could I dehorn them myself with emory cloth and how would I refinish them, especially the LWC?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You would probably want to bead blast after de-horning.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Take a new picture of the gun again with the S&A beavertail, Duckman1911.

I like the blued XSE pistols. With the real beavertail, it would be perfect.

Regards,

Chuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I bought a few months back a NIB Colt SS Commander XSE, after a bit of research and debate. Now I'm have got major buyers remorse. Took it out two or three times and figured out a few things. One it's got that duckbill beavertail which digs into my hands. Two its sharp as hell, as it ripped open my thumb, blood all over gun. The bent Ambi safety feel akward. Im a lefty with med sized hand who likes using a high hold . Three I had quite a few failure to battery, had to give it the slide tap to rear of slide to get it into battery. Mind you I have only put 400 round through it. I was getting 3" groups off hand at 7-15 yards with win white box ball ammo using Wilson mags. But as I bought this to my CCW carry pistol I was a bit unhappy.

I feel it needs major work to be carry worthy. I need some input. Already got a dehorn job from King's Guns Armory, the old master had retired and new owner while nice guy, I was a little unhappy with the work. Planning on Wilson beaver tail, ambi safety, another dehorn (thinking about melted style, still sharp), trigger job, Novak night sights. Questions, should I send into just Wilson or Novak and have it all done one place? Also how much more accuracy can I get with a say a match barrel either barstol from Novak or a Wilson Match barrel? What kind of difference is reliablity will that mean? What else does it need? Maybe I should have bought a springfield or kimber?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts