1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reviews on kimber custom cpd or other kimber fullsize lw 1911's. They look good and prices I've found are about the same for colt lw commander (I actually kinda like the idea of full length lw 1911)

But I have heard that kimbers can be finicky with reliability. Any opinions or reviews ?

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I don't own a full size CDP, but I have owned a Ultra CDP for many years, and have put a lot of 45 bullets downrange. I have yet to have a problem with this gun. It is part of my CCW group. There are those that are disenchanted with Kimber, just like others unhappy with Colt, HK, SA, Dan Wesson and on and on. You have to decide for yourself. They are still in business for a reason. I like my CDP so much that I purchased a Kimber Aegis Pro ll in 9mm.....love it!! :rock:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as reliability would I be safer looking at a newer colt lightweight or maybe even a ruger? I know remington does a 1911 I hear good thing about.
That's one of the issues with kimber if I can never get enough positive reviews to sell me on it, how are there customer service if there is an issue with the gun

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
All of the major gun companies make and sell a LOT of handguns/year in the USA. They all produce a "stinker" from time to time, and I mean ALL of them. They stand behind their product. You sound like you want a 100% guarantee that the gun that you purchase will be perfect in every way....well good luck with that one, even if it came from Wilson, Baer, or Brown.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is not a full size but I have a Pro Carry II HD and in the past a Pro Carry II. They are great 1911s.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have a 5" Kimber Tactical. I don't ever remember it missing a beat. It's a big improvement in carry comfort over a steel gun. I put a GI recoil spring guide rod in it and took the mag funnel off to save a few more ounces also. I really haven't shot it much, enough to feel comfortable with it. No more than 1000 rounds. I treat it like my scandium 357 J-frame. Carry it a lot and shoot it a little.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I have a Kimber Custom TLE II and a Kimber SS Raptor Pro. Both are great guns and I have not had problems with either.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Kimber is a decent gun, but it is too highly priced for what it is.

Regards,

Josh
I feel the same about Colt.

FWIW, I've owned 3 Kimbers and the full size (Warrior) and commander (pro ii) were flawless. I ended up selling the commander for an all steel VBob, but my Warrior has 3500+ rounds through it with exactly 1 stoppage, from one of my reloads.

If you just want a lightweight and don't want to spend a ton, look at Ruger. They are a great value for the price, IMO

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Kimber offers a good value - at about the < $1400 point... beyond that, better quality materials can be had for the same money.

Where they excel is in the variety- dozens of differnt options available, in 3, 4, and 5 inch guns. If you can imagine it, Kimber probably makes it... in a production model.

Kimber had a run several years ago where they put out out of spec slide stops. They replaced the bad parts- but I think it was bad business to continue to use known out of spec parts and fix on request rather than scrap the entire lot of parts. They dabbled in external extractors over a decade ago-poorly. They replaced the entire slides with internal extractor versions.

I've heard relatively few serious complaints over the last 7 or so years... their CS has improved, they'd made an effort to improve reputation... most of the systemic Kimber issues are a decade old.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a Pro ll, and a Pro Raptor (my edc). At 5000 rnds i replaced the recoil spring, and they just keep going.

I brought knowing all the trash talk, made my own decision, and never looked back. No regrets. In fact, my raptor replaced a wiley clap commander that i still cant get to run right as my edc

·
Registered
5,754 Posts

But I have heard that kimbers can be finicky with reliability. Any opinions or reviews ?
Know what.... I've read a lot of that too. So I bought a used one......I was pleasantly surprised that it was/is reliable.

Maybe it was just a fluke so I bought a second one and this time it was brand new. Know what, this one was/is reliable too.

Maybe I was just lucky, I bought a third one. Know what, this one is/was reliable again.

OP, if you want a Kimber, just buy one.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Boise45, Yea, those Kimbers are finicky about reliability,and are basically crap. They are only able to sell those over priced pieces of junk because of Kimber's full page ads in gun magazines. No, really, it's true. I read it on the internet. And, this guy whose cousin's friend worked in a gun shop after he lost his job at KFC said the same thing about Kimbers.

Seriously though, I've owned half a dozen Kimbers. Five were reliable from day 1. One had a minor and easily corrected issue. Reliability wise, I've had more trouble with Colts than anything else. FWIW, I currently have a Colt Special Combat Government, a Kimber Eclipse Target and one other gun in 38 Super. The Custom Shop Colt cost a LOT more than the Kimber and the Custom Shop Colt's great build quality is raved about by Colt fans everywhere. Guess which of the two has the best barrel/slide/frame fit and trigger? Which has functioned 100% reliably with any of the many factory and handloaded ammunition types I've tried? Which has not had any parts fall off, or been back to the factory for repair? It ain't the Colt folks. The much disparaged Kimber has been flawless. If I had to sell one of the two for some reason, the Kimber would not be the first to go.

But, as I say, I read it on the internet, and this guy who used to work at KFC said the same thing, so it must be true. Those Kimbers are crap;)

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But see. Now your the guy who might work at KFC or is a cousin to who knows who and is saying you always have problem with colt...and you posted it on the internet...so you become that guy haha but for real thanks. I was just asking for peoples opinions hence the point of the forum, ultimately I'll have to buy one but if we all just said have to buy one to know then we wouldn't have fun talking on here right? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Here is a quick rehash of about 10 bajillion posts on Kimber pistols.

Kimber makes more 1911's than all other manufacturers combined. yes some have a QC issue and Kimber has come far in improving the customer service. Most that complain about them either never owned one or did not take the time to try and get it rectified. So now the good.... All Kimbers start the same. As someone above stated, the differences are aesthetic and to a smaller degree, additional features such as front strap checkering, night sights, ambi thumb safety, magwell etc.

I have owned all three CDP pistols and had good luck with them, the Ultra I had to do a little filing on the slide lock due to it activating when shooting 230 grn RN bullets. I have owned over 2 dozen Kimbers and never sent one back.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts