1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting the Wilson Summer Companion for CCW carry of my Kimber Pro-Carry. Just wanted some other opinions

Tom Fuller
Washington, IN

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have always had good service from Wilson and really like their products. From what I have heard Sparks has quite a long waiting period for their holsters too. Don't get me wrong I like MS holsters. I was just wanting to know how the Wilson's were

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Wilson Covert Companion that I like. It's a nice IWB holster that doesn't have the reinforced mouth, and has a skirt around the outside edge of the holster to flatten the holster and pistol's outline in your trousers or jeans. It's not quite as easy to re-holster as some other holsters, but it's the cat's meow when it comes to concealed carry. It's comfortable, has a smooth interior to baby your pistol, and works very well with my Wilson belt and either Dickies or Jeans.

Unfortunately, Wilson has discontinued the holster in favor of the Summer Companion.

I think Wilson has good holsters made, and the leather goods I've bought from them are as good or better than any others I've owned.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,347 Posts
As a long time owner of several Milt Sparks holsters I can say that the Wilson Summer Companion is a very good copy of the original Summer Special. I handled the Wilson holster at the Shot Show and found that it was a very well built piece. It has a "fat guard" like the Summer Special II but rides at the same height as the original SS which is higher. You can't go wrong with either one. I wore the original SS for over 14 years and thought that was the most comfortable holster. Then a friend gave me his used Executive Companion, then I thought that the EC was the most comfortable. I broke down a few weeks ago and bought a VM2. Now it's my favorite. By the way I think that Sparks carry in stock the SS and SSII for the 1911, there's no wait. Tony please correct me if I'm wrong. Also Allan Yoast have several Sparks holsters in stock.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!

Ricky,
You are right, we do try and keep some SS-2s in stock for the various 1911's. If we don't have it, than more than likely Brownells or Alan Yoast will.

Mike,
I've been meaning to ask you this for some time. Are you the same Mike Benedict that we here at Milt Sparks used to refer to as one of the three Mikes. Lessee,, there was a Mike Sastre, Mike Benedict(you?) and another Mike for whom I can't recall the last name. The three Mikes all shot in the same club somewhere in the midwest (Illinois, Ohio?)in the eightys and were somewhat frequent customers of ours. Just curious if that would have been you.

Tony

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

·
Registered
285 Posts
I build the Wilson stuff . I can tell you that for comfort I preferred the Covert Companion but for ease of re-holstering the summer companion is better . It now comes with a steel reinforced band to retain its shape . Its all a matter of what you prefer . As far as quality , I think we are as good as Sparks but I will not start a War and say we are better . Either Sparks or Wilson will be top quality and I am sure we both have a great reputation for service , so make up your mind and order something we both need your business .Thanks, S.Caldwell

·
Super Moderator
13,347 Posts
Originally posted by T. Kanaley:
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!

Ricky,
You are right, we do try and keep some SS-2s in stock for the various 1911's. If we don't have it, than more than likely Brownells or Alan Yoast will.

Mike,
I've been meaning to ask you this for some time. Are you the same Mike Benedict that we here at Milt Sparks used to refer to as one of the three Mikes. Lessee,, there was a Mike Sastre, Mike Benedict(you?) and another Mike for whom I can't recall the last name. The three Mikes all shot in the same club somewhere in the midwest (Illinois, Ohio?)in the eightys and were somewhat frequent customers of ours. Just curious if that would have been you.

Tony

Tony,
Mike Benedict was from Ohio. He's a lefty, if that helps your recollection. I've seen his holster box full of Sparks holsters from yesteryears, Summer Specials, HSRs, 1ATs, mag pouches. He even has a 1AT for a long slide or a compensated 1911.
RT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts