Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have narrowed my choice of a 1911 model pistol to the following make and models. The price differences are not a factor to me. However, quality, performance and value is.

I have narrowed my choices to a short list of:
Kimber Pro Carry II
Kimber Custom TLE II
Springfield Armory Loaded Operator 1911-A1
Springfield-Armory Custom Loaded Champion 1911-A1
Springfield-Armory Custom Loaded Compact 1911-A1
Colt Series 70

Any opinions from you forum folks on any or all of the above models? My handgun purchasing permit expires in 9 days and I will have to make a choice soon.

Thanks in advance,
AWM

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It's a tie. Which one do YOU like?

What are you going to do with it? Carry?

I would buy the Colt 70 Series, from those on your list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ranger

I actually like all of them. It is mostly for home defense. I may carry, which is why I also picked some lighter models among the list.

My cousin is a purist and he is heavily recommending the colt. He owns a Colt Commander.

I have fired the Colt Commander, the Kimber Pro Carry II and the SA Compact. I like them all. But would like to just buy one and make my purchase count with no regrets later.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've been really happy with my Kimber Classic. I've always thought the full-sized 5" of any brand were the most reliable and get the best out of the .45 round.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
COLT, your kids will love you for it :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I too would have to go with the Colt.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I'd go with the Colt. It would be an excellent platform to build on a little at a time. The Kimber TLE would be next. The operator will probably be to much as a carry gun, and give you problems finding a holster. From what I understand 5" guns are the most reliable,generally, so I would stay away from the compacts. Most people don't seem to have to much of a problem concealing the full size gun, and they are easier to shoot well. HTH

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would get the Colt. With the Springfield, the frame and slide come from Brazil. I want my 1911 made in the US.

The parts in the Kimber are largely MIM, although the slide, frame, and barrel are forged. Colt's small parts are generally of higher quality. The barrel bushings on the Colts do tend to be on the sloppy side. An aftermarket "drop-in" bushing will work wonders for the gun's accuracy.

The Kimber's firing pin safety has caused problems for some people. Personally, I don't trust the series II Kimbers.

As far as value, it is hard to say which one is best. The Series 70 is a bit overpriced unless you represent the niche market it was created for. The Colt NRM Government Model is about the best value out there right now.

--tdow

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I'd get the Colt, but different model. Either the 01991 or the 01091, I think would be better suited to what you want in a pistol.

Go down to the Colt section and you can see what we are talking about.

·
Registered
171 Posts
From this list I would vote first for Colt and second for SA. I personally have had very bad luck with Kimbers- however I could be a statistical anomoly!

·
Registered
59 Posts
None of those are really "bad" choices, but I'll have to reccomend either of the Kimbers... which one depends on you. "Best value" would probably be the TLE IF you want night sights, checkered frontstrap, and the size/weight isn't a factor for you. The Pro Carry is quite a gem in itself, and you can add either of the afore mentioned options if you like them (except the size/weight ;) ).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
In my experience with 1911's I think that any of the manufacturers that you have selected would be fine.

I personally tend to like Kimber. I think that the lineup that Kimber puts out is hard to beat.

One of the next guns I want is the Kimber TLE/RL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.