1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bit the bullet today and put in an order for a bushmaster XM15 E2S M4 Type 16in Carbine. It has a perm pinned "Retractable" stock.

I have a collapsable stock already I plan to accidentally put on it instead of the fixed unit.

I got the rifle for $850 NIB (Decent price
) Just curious as to what sort of experience people have had with these rifles. I have heard good things. I have to wait 6-10 weeks for it tho, seems since Sept 11, they can't make them fast enough.

So the house weapons for immediate defense will be the Springfield Ultra Compact V10 .45 ACP.. the 870 Pump Tactical 12gg, and the Mini-14 will retire to the gun case to be replaced by the Bushie!

I am excited! talk to me! Tell me how they handle, how they shoot! I have handled the Bushmaster full size Hbar rifle and liked it alot, hopefully the M4 clone will be the same

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good move! Dont worrie I wont tell anyone about you putting the collapsable stock on. mums the word!
Mr.AFT agent RobertWink would'nt break the law, he just has a bunch of "pinned stocks" pinned at different lenghts(he changes them often).

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
Just so you know, adding a collapsable stock to a post-ban rifle is a felony. Yeah, nobody is likely to know. But if the police do search your premises for whatever reason you can lose all your guns and receive jail time. I know pre-bans are expensive, but trying to afford an attorney just so you can play dumb in front of a judge costs a lot more.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn.. didn't think it would be that big of a deal, since I wouldn't have flash supressor, or other "Pre ban" bad things on it.

well I can sell the stock and use the cash for ammo

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
As far as I know infractions of the '94 debacle are seen by atf as the same thing that applies to sawn off shotguns and the like. While 10yrs. and $10,000 may not be imposed you, you most certainly will be convicted as a felon with probable probation. No guns forever. Can felons vote? I can't remmember.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Congrats on the new BM. I just picked one up last week. So I don't break the law I am looking at putting the "fake" colapsing stock on mine.

My big decision is what muzzle break to put on it. I cant decide between the AK47 style break, the Y-Comp, or the mini Y- comp. DAMN DECISIONS

I also like the looks of the flare launcher! They are legal correct?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Congratulations on your Bushmaster! I just brought mine home about a week ago-haven't had a chance to head for the range yet.

dsk said: "...adding a collapsible stock to a post ban rifle is a felony.:
That's true, however according to the Bushmaster brochure (which accompanied my rifle, and has since become a "great literary work" to me), these rifles are sold as "BATF Approved" from Bushmaster. I'm guessing the reason for this is that the stock IS NOT collapsible, but is in fact a fixed stock which appears to be collapsible. geegee

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Picked up three Bushmasters in the past couple of weeks or so. First is a preban shorty, which is absolutely one of the most accurate AR's I've ever shot in my life. Second is a postban shorty, and I plan to leave it just as it is. Actually, I prefer the feel of the full stock over the collapsable stock. Third is a full sized "target" model. Have owned Colt and Armalite in the past, and without a doubt, Bushmaster is just as good, if not better than the other two.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm in the process of building my own M4gery, found a Bushmaster lower for $139 at the gun show this weekend, total cost should be about $585 when all is said and done, I've heard virtually nothing but praise for the bushys, I was glad to at least get the lower so cheaply and so quickly, good luck on your new rifle.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'd 86 the fake collapsable stock for a standard stock. That short thing is not made for aimed shooting, In my opinion. Just commando style hip shootin' with the ocassional aimed shot. And stay away from the mini comp Y break. It was one of the reasons I sold my Bushy. Eveytime you pull the trigger, you get a blast of air in the face. Try the AK or a crowned barrel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got a few Bushmasters in over the last few months, and since I am between M-16s, I took one home. It is the 16", heavy barrel with removeable carry handle. I couldn't stand the trigger or the plain barrel, so I sent it to Wilson to get their muzzle break, ergo grip, and JP trigger installed. It looks great and I was amazed at the accuracy. It put round after round into about 2.5" circle at 100 yards. I'm sure the trigger helps, but it is suprisingly accurate. All I want it to do is accept 30 round AR mags loaded with cheap .223 ammo. The accuracy is a bonus.

Skip the collapsible stock. It's not worth the trouble, and it sucks. I am 5"3" and it's way too short for me. I never use the A-3 stock on my MP-5 either. Collapsibles may look good, but they aren't worth a crap unless you don't plan to shoot the gun and want to stick it in a duffle bag. Enjoy.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading COmpany
281-494-4151

[This message has been edited by Greg R (edited 12-03-2001).]

·
Registered
953 Posts
I lost the fake stock, after I found that my shorty was easier to shoot with the A2 stock. I thought the other stock looked cooler, but I didn't buy my Bushie to look at.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Kind of a funky question. The length of the barrel has to be 16" (correct?) Now with putting on a muzzle break that is, say 2". Can you have the barrel shortened 2" then put on the muzzle break replacing the 2" you lost? Making the total 16" instead of 18"

Just like the look now and think it would look funny with 2 more inches on the barrel length. Thanks

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by Lupey:
Kind of a funky question. The length of the barrel has to be 16" (correct?) Now with putting on a muzzle break that is, say 2". Can you have the barrel shortened 2" then put on the muzzle break replacing the 2" you lost? Making the total 16" instead of 18"

Just like the look now and think it would look funny with 2 more inches on the barrel length. Thanks
According to NFA '34 all rifle barrels with the length of less than 16" must be registered and taxed.

To comply with NFA '34, you can either get permission from your county sheriff, get printed, and pay your $200 tax for your tax stamp to the BATF and get your <16" barrel; or, you can have a gun smith permanently weld the break to the barrel to have the combination of the barrel + break => 16".

------------------
'In 1913, as he was imposing an income tax on this country (after the Supreme Court had declared Abraham Lincoln's income tax unlawful), Woodrow Wilson promised Americans that it would never go any higher than five percent, and that it would never affect anyone but the very wealthiest two percent of the population. Almost certainly this is where the observation first came from, that you can tell a politician is lying -- because his mouth is moving.' -- Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, Page 218.

[This message has been edited by Gun Nut (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Registered
286 Posts
DSK is exactly right. Felony if you go over two of the bad features. You already have the detachable mag and the pistol grip. Any bayonet lug, collapsable stock or flash supressor will have you committing a felony. Sure nobody is likely to find out, but you said that you are using the rifle for home defense, right? What happens when you pop a bad guy and the firearm used is confiscated for the coming trial. They will find out and you will be guilty of a felony. I would and did bite the bullet and bought a pre-ban with the features already on it. That way, no questions as ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law, no matter how stupid or Un-Constitutional that law is.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
SBW's do need to have a special $200.00 tax stamp, this is true.

Yet a 11.5 inch or 14.5 inch barrel with the correct lenth muzzle break perminately attached is the same as a 16 inch barreled carbine.
M4 barrels are 14.5 inches, Bushmaster makes the shorty with a 14.5 inch barrel and AK muzzle break....Over all lenth is 16 inches.

Trick is PERMINATELY ATTACHED

Karsten

·
Registered
59 Posts
permanently attached is key!
Or pay 200$ for a short barrel rifle stamp then you can shorten the barrel and have the collapsing stock, completely legal.
The collapsable stock is not prefered for a standard rifle shooters stance, but if you learn to shoot from the same stance as you shoot a pistol from(squared to your target)you will love the ajustability of the stock.:cool:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Last time I looked, a tax stamp for a short bbled rifle was $5. The same as for pen guns and pocket holsters that you can shoot through. :rolleyes: Machine guns and suppressor stamps are $200.

I recently converted a pre-ban of mine to post ban, because I can not come up with all the parts reciepts to prove it was a complete rifle before the ban took effect. I built the gun myself in 93, but back then who would have thought that you would need to document proof of all parts to claim grandfather rights!

For me, its not worth the risk to have a bayonet lug that I will never use, or a threaded muzzle for a flash hider on a gun that up till now, I have never fired in the dark.

The collapsable buttstock is nice for those who wear body armor and need to be able to shorten up the stock, but all it does for me is catch and pull my whiskers out. :mad:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Where is Randy Weaver, when we really need him. None of you guys need to go through what he did. We all want to push the rules and all he did was cut a few inches off a shotgun, but I don't think it was worth it. Sure his children got $3 million and what does he have.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts