1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an all blued Ed Brown Kobra Carry on order for awhile and while I have been waiting I have looked at grips until I am seeing them in my sleep! A couple of the guys on the EB section where I hang out most of the time have the half checkered Tactical grips on their pistols and they look good, but I would like to get a little more input from other members that have used them. Here is 3 questions I wonder about.

1. Are the ones that are hollowed out for weight reduction just as good as the solids?

2. Is the checkering deep enough to give a good grip in conjuction with the smooth surface of the grip?

3. Would you buy them again or something else?

Thanks for any opinions and God bless. :)

PastorDW,

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I've never been impressed with aluminum grips. I find wood feels better in the hand and adds character to your gun.

Grips are like shoes... Got to try them on & go with what feels best.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Aluma grips run kinda hot

I have had an all blued Ed Brown Kobra Carry on order for awhile and while I have been waiting I have looked at grips until I am seeing them in my sleep! A couple of the guys on the EB section where I hang out most of the time have the half checkered Tactical grips on their pistols and they look good, but I would like to get a little more input from other members that have used them. Here is 3 questions I wonder about.

1. Are the ones that are hollowed out for weight reduction just as good as the solids?

2. Is the checkering deep enough to give a good grip in conjuction with the smooth surface of the grip?

PastorDW,
Have shot a pistol with them, decent grip but they seemed like they got kinda hot after about 200 rds.

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
I have two sets of Alumagrips including the set that you are looking at. I am very pleased with them and I have had no heat issues (and when I shoot I go through a lot more than 200 rounds). They are comfy against the skin and provide a good, if not excellent, grip. They are having a 20% off sale until the 18th (there is a thread here somewhere about that) so no better time to get them on order. You won't know unless you try them out for yourself.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have five or so sets of Alumagrips for my two 1911s, a Kimber Compact CDP and a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. The last one ordered is the 1/2 checkered tactical style in the lightweight version for the Kimber, just like you asked about. I chose the most aggressive checkering for it.
I'm sold. After trying at least a dozen sets of grips for these two guns, I have decided all of them are going except ivory and the 1/2 checkered tactical. My Mil-Spec currently is wearing ivory and teh Kimber wears theses grips. I am going to order a set of them for the Mil-Spec.Other than ivory, none of my 1911s now wear anything else.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have had several sets of Alumagrips but so far all have the full checkering. I have never used the ones hollowed out for weight reduction ... frankly, I just don't think it is necessary.

That being said I have a set of the half checkered ones sitting in my safe right now waiting for my second EB to arrive. I love they way they look.

As far as Alumagrips go ... in general ... the regular depth checkering has always given me plenty or purchase on the pistol. I have used them on my EB in a class with approx 600rds fired in a day and they never "got hot", never slipped, and didn't eat away at my hands either. I love them.

Chris is also a great guy ... and 1911forum member & sponsor.

Here is the thread with the 20% discount. It's only good for another couple of days.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=251873

·
Registered
597 Posts

PastorDW,
Hello again Pastor,

1. I own one pair (full sized tactical) so I can't offer a user's opinion of the hollowed vs. solid; however, I'm pretty sure the only difference in the two is the weight with no functional difference.

2. There are options for checkering depth (normal, aggresive, and very aggressive). I chose the normal checkering but that was probably a mistake. I prefer a little more aggressive grip than the normal checkering offers. I'd recommend the "aggressive" checkering.

3. I'd buy them (with the aggressive checkering) if I didn't already own a set; but I don't see myself buying another pair.

Also, you should either use a very small rubber washer ( I believe it's a #60 o-ring/washer from Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) or blue locktite to keep the grip screws secure. The screws and the grips will work themselves loose after about 60-70 rounds. I learned this the hard way at the range. I use the washer and it secures the screws, and therefore the grips, firmly - problem solved.

Other observations:
  • They are very easy to clean, I usually just wipe them clean with a cloth.
  • They look great
  • I use the "frame savers" from Alumagrps (found on the custom accessories page) whenever the Alumagirps are on my pistol - only to protect the frame from scratching (my frame is CS w/ Gen III).
  • They will get hot if left in th sun and they tend to absorb some of the heat of the frame when shooting so I don't think they're practical for long range sessions with a lot of rapid fire. During one session, after about 200 rounds with a lot of rapid fire, I stopped shooting just to let the grips cool off. This may not be noticed if shooting a lot of rounds throughout the day (with/without gloves) but put several rounds downrange in a short time and I think you'll notice the grips getting warmer
  • Alumagrips and Chris were a pleasure to do business with

Wrapping up, I recommend one pair with aggressive checkering for carry/home defense purposes. But, I wouldn't use them for long range sessions.

Best wishes!!

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I've got them on my Kimber Combat Carry. I ordered them lightweight and with standard checkering depth.

They're plenty "gripy" and I'm glad I didn't get deeper checkering. The lightweight are just lighter, that's it.

The only problem I've had is them shooting off (grips screws) but I've got #60 o-rings on them now. There are other ways to combat that like locktite which Alumagrips sells as well.

Other than that, if the sun gets to your gun, the grips can get pretty hot, but that's what aluminum does. Same with cold. For me, they're great and serve the purpose, to have a good grip, lighter, durable for carry and comfortable on the skin when I'm carrying without a shirt between me and them.

Yep, I'd do it again. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts