1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I run into BHP's on sale in my local shop from time to time, always the 40's never a 9mm. I've noticed that most people on this forum post and picture the 9mm. I know the 9 is the classic version but how does the 40 measure up?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Strange how certain guns show up in different parts of the country. All the BHP's we see in North Alabama are 9MM. I've been looking or a 40 S&W BHP for a couple of years now. Saw one at a gun shop and they want over $800 for it. Looking at gunshows too. Patience and I'll find what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Come to East TN and all you can find is .40 and no 9mm. You want a .40 and all you can find is a 9. I prefer the 9 and all we have here is the .40. Go figure.

·
Registered
684 Posts
.40 vs 9mm

I am really interested in a BHP, and have a complete dillon die setup for .40 as well as lots of .40 brass. So I am leaning toward the .40 vs. the 9mm.

Is there any real difference in the way these pistols shoot with the two different rounds? I would assume the 9 would have a bit less recoil, but I don't mind the recoil of the .40 in a P239, so is there any disadvantage to the .40 bhp vs. the 9? General desirability? Resale? Long-time wear?

Thanks!

·
Registered
698 Posts
so is there any disadvantage to the .40 bhp vs. the 9? General desirability? Resale? Long-time wear?
For those three questions...

General Desirability...goes to the 9mm

Resale...goes to the 9mm

Long time wear...9mm will last longer...the .40 is a high pressure cartridge and hard on pistols

Let me add a few...

The way it was meant to be...9mm

The trimmer slide...9mm

Capacity...more in the 9mm

Recoil...less in the 9mm

Cost of ammo...9mm way cheaper

Don't get me wrong. I am not dissing the .40. I wouldn't want to be shot by one. I just prefer the 9mm in a high cap double stack gun. If I am going to reduce capacity or increase size, I jump to the .45. I have owned .40 pistols and sold them all...just never had much use for one. But even if I did, I would still buy my Hi Power in 9mm. Just like I always buy my 1911s in .45. Some things are just a perfect match.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I gotta throw in my .02 cents...seems that here in Central Texas, most of the dealers have the .40. The 9mm is kind of a scarce commodity.

I've been looking around for a new BHP in 9mm for a few weeks, I finally (hopefully) have a new one on its way. Call me a purist, but I like the BHP in 9mm. I'm with Sundance- 'The way it was meant to be...9mm' :cool:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks!

OK, I'm sold. 9mm it is.

Do you guys have a favorite model? I would love a markIII silverchrome or practical, but am also considering a pjk-9hp FEG or an Argentinian FM BHP. Any thoughts on that? Obviously there is a big price difference, but what else can you tell me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. I'm not at all trying to be rude or anything, but if you'll do a search using FEG or FM using only the Browning Hi Power forum for results, you should come up with volumes.

In a nutshell, neither the FM or the FEG will have the finish on the FN and both will probably need trigger jobs, but then so does the FN in many cases. Some are reporting extraction problems with some of the FEG's while others are having zero problems. Usually the extraction problems can be solved with replacement of the extractor spring, extractor, or both.

Best.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I like the 9mm because you can jam 13-18 rounds in a mag, depending on what you have.

I also like the nine because there is something about the bullet that draws mystique for me.. I dont know what it is, but this pistol is perfect.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would recommend an FN manufactured (FN or Browning marked) MKIII 9mm with the utilitarian black epoxy finish and the black plastic grips and the fixed sights. They can be had anywhere between $500 to $600. They will run reliably out of the box and they are great base guns to customize if that is your thing. If there was an FN marked gun and a Browning marked gun side by side in the case I'd probably pick the Browning, well...just because...you know. I would also recommend MecGar preban 13 round mags which can be had for around $40 each new in wrap. MecGar makes the factory FN and Browning mags but the MecGar marked ones, while just as good, will save you a few bucks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would say go with the 9MM, I have 3 BHP's, 2 in 9MM and a 40, hardly ever shoot the 40. As someone else said, if need more bang, I have 2 1911's in .45 I go with. Just my opinion, which I know, aint worth much.

·
Registered
379 Posts
FWIW, I bought a used MKIII 9mm a few years back. The stock pistol is great. Some folks like a trigger job, different grips or sights, but that's about it. Congrats on choosing a fine pistol. :)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I don't know why I didn't answer this post before? I have owned a BHP 40 S&W for years. It is, in my opinion, the softest shooting 40 on the market. The only negative I can think of is you need strength to rack the slide. The best way to do this is by pointing the slide at the ground, pull the slide with your left hand, and push outward on the grip with your right hand. All in all, I like mine a lot. Regards, Richard:D

PS it has a very well supported chamber per Wayne Novak.

This is my MKIII 40 S&W

·
Registered
96 Posts
I 9mm can easily be fitted with cheap 133 to 17 round magazines. The .40 is limited to just the 10 round magazines.

That is my take on it. Also the 9 mm was the original model caliber and sentimentally the 9 mm is more fitting.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Shaman said:
I run into BHP's on sale in my local shop from time to time, always the 40's never a 9mm.

I think thats because most people who get the .40, end up wanting the good old 100 year old 9mm!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts