1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the 225 gr Speer bullet that is jacketed, but has the hollow point lead tip exposed for self defense? I can’t think of the bullet number now, maybe 4479?

I see these are for maximum penetration and expansion, so I was thinking they would work well for winter carry. With the BG having heavy clothes on, I thought a larger, better penetrating bullet would be better than the 185 gr JHP’s I’ve been using.

Any opinions on this?

I don't want to get into the "don't use handloads for SD" argument. Let's save that for another thread

·
Registered
21,980 Posts
That is really a revolver bullet. If your gun is an auto, do you plan to shoot enough to be SURE it will feed reliably, what with the flat point and exposed lead? How about a nice 230 grain Gold Dot? Or hardball?

I don't think I want to live anywhere a 185 grain bullet won't go through the coats.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you plan to shoot enough to be SURE it will feed reliably, what with the flat point and exposed lead?
Yes I will. One of the many reason why I reload.

I shoot SWC's (for extra practice) in my carry gun and they function great. Although this bullet is not a SWC, the shape is more similiar than some JHP's.

·
Registered
21,980 Posts
DanDean316 said:
Yes I will. One of the many reason why I reload.

I shoot SWC's (for extra practice) in my carry gun and they function great. Although this bullet is not a SWC, the shape is more similiar than some JHP's.
Be sure that you do. Reload plenty of the Speers, that is.
Function with SWCs does not signify; I have guns that will feed SWCs better than hardball.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The ones I had were 44 caliber and I shot them out of my SRH.

I loaded them to less than max pressure and experienced jacket separation. They aren't bonded in any way. They expand easily with limited penetration. Not a good choice to use against bear or for shooting through barriers but you can bet I wouldn't want to be hit with one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts