1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rather delicious problem. I recently aquired a very nice set of real ivory grips for the full size 1911. My problem is, I can't decide which pistol to put them on. Trust me, I'm not bragging, I've been saving for a set for a long time. Would they look better on (1) Colt LW Commander with old 70's blue black, high polish finish? (2) Kimber stainless SLE with the typical bead-blast finish (3) Sistema Colt model 1927, old blue-black polished finish ( a little worn). Or a 1944 colt USGI with old dark parkerizing( I guess I would hesitate to put them on this pistol as it's probably a sin or something). I tried putting them on the different pistols, but my brain just overloaded
thanks guys,
Montana

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Please don't put them on a stainless or hard chromed gun. Light on light just looks so pimpy! lol

If you want to show off the grips, place them on a firearm with a dark finish. The contrast will draw attention to the grips.

It'd look beautiful on the Colt LW Commander.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with Son, unless you're a pimp, please don't mix ivory & shiny. Ivory and dark will look better. Elephants aren't silver. Good luck with the ivory grips.

G

·
0 Posts
None of the above......just send them to me.

------------------
NRA Life Member

The important things are always simple.....The simple things are always hard.

·
Registered
731 Posts
To save you the trouble, overnight them to me. I'll try them on my stainless gun, a buddy's parkerized gun, and my Sistema. I'll get back to you and let you know which looks the best.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
55 Posts
How come??? Noone will admit to owning a Sistma when we talk about them, yet here everyone is talking about theirs? Hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys,
I went with the Commander, which was the pistol I had originally ordered them for. WOW!!, They are just as gorgeous as I hoped they would be! The LW Commander has more or less become my off duty weapon anyway, so now I'll get to wear them a lot. Well worth the $ and I would recommend Dan Chesiak's work to anyone. (He said he used to be a sub-contract grip maker for Colt's custom shop.
BTW I own and enjoy a really nice Sistema of which I am which I am very proud, Check my reccent post on USGI
Thanks for all the help!
Montana

·
Registered
696 Posts
Glad to see You chose the Commander.Nice contrast,just like the ivory & african blackwood on Your pipes!tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I disagree. Ivory grips on a light gun can be done tastefully. Just make sure you put away the fuzzy dice and fur hat with the peacock feather.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soooo.... Deputy Tom,
Now I'm REAL curious. Do YOU play? I know PA. is a pretty hot piping area. We end up traveling to either Saskatchewan or Estes Park, Colo. to compete due to a lack of interest in our area. And your right they look every bit as nice as the contrast of my Regimental Naill's. Sorry bout the off-topic, guys but pipers are noted for being hard to keep in tune!!!

Montana

·
Registered
285 Posts
I vote commander , Dont monkey with your original GI gun its not worth messing up a period peice .

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey, if its real ivory (as you said it was) they will look great on any gun. Its the fake stuff that looks pimpy. Real ivory usually has some character to it instead of being all white. They can range quite a bit in color depending on the grade.

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts