1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a .22 plinker and I see both of these at LGS. The Victory is $100+ cheaper and I know it has a more tedious takedown.

I like both but have never fired one and will buy one with out trying.

I've seen Youtube comparisons but I thought I'd ask the knowledgable enthusiasts here.

What do owners of these guns think?

Thank you!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I am looking for a .22 plinker and I see both of these at LGS. The Victory is $100+ cheaper and I know it has a more tedious takedown.

I like both but have never fired one and will buy one with out trying.

I've seen Youtube comparisons but I thought I'd ask the knowledgable enthusiasts here.

What do owners of these guns think?

Thank you!
Have you thought about the Ruger Charger. 22LR?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
I was confused at first. By "S&W Victory" I thought you meant the original S&W Victory, which was the Lend/Lease revolver sent to the UK in WW2. Out of all the possible names a company could use, why recycle an old one for an entirely different product? Call it the Rabid Weasel 2000 and be done with it!

Honda did the same thing & it caused me to lose out. A friend said that her pal had an old, but running Honda Odyssey to give away for free. I told her I wasn't interested, but I referred her to one of my buddies. ------------------------------------------- Because I didn't want some crappy minivan.

Later my friend called and thanked me profusely because he got an AWESOME Honda Odyssey Dune Buggy absolutely free. Arrrghh!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
........... Out of all the possible names a company could use, why recycle an old one for an entirely different product? ...........

........... Arrrghh!
That's the same beef I have with Sig. Why, oh why, reuse the 'X5' moniker with non-226 pistols?????? Talk about muddying the waters!!! X5 used to mean something very specific and unique. Now, not so much.

As for the issue at hand, buying sight unseen could be a downside, as both of these designs will fit your hand differently. Having said that, for me, the S&W is a slightly more comfortable pistol to shoot. Both are on par accuracy-wise, and there's an aftermarket cottage industry for both as well. Honestly, it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. If money is a concern, then the S&W.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will handle both in the shop, just not fire one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My S&W Victory is a good shooter and will shoot any 22LR I put in it. I do have a Mark2, not a Mark4, to compare it to. I like both of them but the Mark2 is ammo picky. If I were to buy again it would be the S&W Victory.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This all up to you. I can only say what I used, had a Ruger22 30 years ago and it was good shooting but a pain to take apart and clean, Also Browning Buck Mark 22 which shot good no hang ups, sold it last year the wife did not use it any more. I just bought a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 a good accurate gun and easy to take down and clean. Here is a photo. Put a Red Dot and grips on this one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Love my ruger Mk 4 22/45 and waiting a Hunter, amazing guns, incredible. For steel challenge. They run super fast and accurate w/o any malfunction ever. And hard wearing, drop in VQ trigger though.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm sure that the S&W is a nice gun, but they just look funny to me. My Ruger is an old Standard Model from 1973, but it just keeps trucking along. I figured out how to take it apart and put it back together a long time ago. The MK 4 would be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a newer Mark IV Target with the heavy bull barrel and a Bushnell TRS 25 RDS that is FAR more accurate than I am. Take down on the newer Mark IVs couldn't be any simpler, it is literally push button. It will also reliably shoot nearly all .22 LR (unlike my buddy's Mark II) but does prefer CCI standard velocity. I handled a S&W Victory in the LGS but it just didn't feel as nice in my hand.

There's also no shortage of accessories for Mark IVs (e.g., trigger kits, competition bolts, etc.) if you're into that sort of thing. I did put a Volquartson trigger on mine. Don't know what the aftermarket is like for the S&W.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Mark IV 22/45 lite and my shooting buddy has the Victory. Mine is considerably lighter but they both are tack drivers. The major difference we've found is the Victory seems to be more ammo sensitive. Way more light strikes and failure to fire than my Mark. The Victory seems to like mini mags and the Mark will eat anything.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I’ve got the Mk IV standard and it easily puts rounds on target at 20 yards. Usually can go through two to three bricks of ammo in one session before I would start getting stoppages. This was of course before ammo disappeared. The best ammo it has seen was some federal match in a 325 round box but usually gets the Winchester or Remington bulk ammo.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd go with the MkIV over the Victory if you're going to shoot it a lot or use a can. The Victory is a royal PITA to thoroughly clean, that and the buffer will eventually need replacing. My sixty year old Model 41 has no such issues, but I don't have a threaded barrel for it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the non-threaded barrel Victory. It is a nice shooter and I've put quite a few different kinds of ammo through it. I put a flat Tandemkross trigger and kit in it and added a Tasco reflex sight to it. I also added the charging halo to the slide for easier slingshotting it and not worrying about pinching fingers. It comes with green fiber optic sights front and rear. They really glow like they are battery-powered. You can also add the supplied Picatinny rail that has a rear sight molded in. I put a Tasco reflex sight on mine.

The only drawback to the gun is having to remove a screw to take it down. Some people were having problems with that screw loosening up after so many rounds. Smith & Wesson sent me a different screw that supposedly eliminated that problem. I had a problem with mine when trying to take it apart for cleaning and that screw not loosening and the one that attaches the barrel coming loose instead. That is not something you do not want happening!

I don't have a Mark IV to compare it with. I only have a Mark II and they are night and day difference with the takedown.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the Victory or Mark IV.

·
Premium Member
9,153 Posts
I am partial to the Buckmark (w/Tactical Solutions bull barrel), but that’s not what you asked. I shot a ton with my buddies Victory and it was actually quite good. If money is a concern, you will not be unhappy with the Victory. I didn’t have to clean it though.
Don’t ignore the Buckmark option, it’s not a Hammerli, but they run fantastic.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I like the Ruger. I have one with 40,000 rounds through it, no problems and very accurate. Ruger also has the better trigger and after market hop up parts. They aren’t bad to disassemble if you read the instructions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
not a big ruger fan boy I've my victory for awhile now and it's a great shooter easy to take down and clean and every bit as accurate as any ruger

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The S&W is a great pistol, it's just so ugly and awkward looking. The Ruger is pretty much the standard that all others are judged by. I'd take the Ruger every day of the week...Oh, and I did.

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
I was confused at first. By "S&W Victory" I thought you meant the original S&W Victory, which was the Lend/Lease revolver sent to the UK in WW2. Out of all the possible names a company could use, why recycle an old one for an entirely different product? Call it the Rabid Weasel 2000 and be done with it!

Honda did the same thing & it caused me to lose out. A friend said that her pal had an old, but running Honda Odyssey to give away for free. I told her I wasn't interested, but I referred her to one of my buddies. ------------------------------------------- Because I didn't want some crappy minivan.

Later my friend called and thanked me profusely because he got an AWESOME Honda Odyssey Dune Buggy absolutely free. Arrrghh!
S&W M&P: it’s a revolver AND OR it’s a striker-fired semi-auto; shoots great and lookit that shine! Used to had one of each model, but sold the .22LR to a member of my security team. It was the closest match that I had, chambered in .22LR, to his side-arm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts