1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know this has been asked a thousand times. I am in the market to get a sight for my M4. I will mostly be using it for entry work or on warrant sweeps but I also want something I can be able to make a fairly accurate 100 yard shot or so. I am looking for advice from actual operators with experience and please don't suggest the Acog because I dont have $900. Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a trijicon reflex II w/12.5 moa triangle. I like it okay but before i bought it I borrowed a friend's aimpoint comp ml (had already ordered the reflex). The comp ml I was using had a 10 moa dot which was way too big but i liked the aimpoint a lot better than reflex. i think I would like the reflex better if i had just gotten it w/the 4 moa dot instead of the triangle.

The one i have is good and accurate but tough to use at 100 yards. Not really designed for precision but good cqb application.

The EO Tech is a good sight as well. We use those on our city issue m4s but if I was buying my own again I would get the aimpoint comp ml2.

My reflex was about $400.00 w/ the flat top mount. EO Tech is probably the cheaper choice around $300 and I the aimpoint runs between $3-400.

Any of those are good optics for the application you are most likely looking for.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go with the aimpoint. It works great for anything you plan on using your M4 for.

I've used the Reflex sold it after I keep having the site washout. Bought the Holosight sold if after having the battery cap fail and lost my sight during a square range drill. Then I final bought an aimpoint M2. I sure wish I would have picked it up first or second. But I bought everything that was supposed to be better first then came back to the aimpoint. I can say that I have yet to change the battery out and have put my M4 through more abuse then most people ever will. It has not failed yet(knocking on wood, looking for murphy)

If know your weapon well enough and practice you can make hits out at 600yd. This was done during a carbine class just to prove the point it can be done. most people hit steel 7+ out of 10 so it may not be the best at long range but its a fast sight for what you want to use it for.

Clinth

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'd go with:

1. EOTech
2. Aimpoint

You could try something less expensive if you have the luxury of time to test it, but since this is for life or death stuff, I would skip the experiments.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the EOTech because:

1. The 1MOA dot inside of the 65MOA ring is a superior reticle pattern, perhaps the best on the market. The "donut" is very fast and the 1MOA makes tight shots at 100yds or more a lot easier.

2. The EOTech will mount directly to a flat top and cowitness with iron sights (like the GG&G or ARMS flip-ups). With the Aimpoint, you can do it, but it's going to cost some extra $$$ to get it done. If you have a carry handle, both will need a gooseneck mount unless you have a freefloat tube with a top rail.

In the end, either will serve nicely.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Our LEO customers/departments do not use cheap optics such as the OKO and Hakko. There is a reason. Do not cheat yourself by taking the low road on your duty equipment. It has been well documented on this site that, for the most part, you get what you pay for. As one that must carry such equipment in order to protect your life and those of the people in your jurisdiction, you should outfit yourself with the most reliable and accurate equipment you can. You are much more likely to need thatt equipment than those of us that are responsible only for our own well being. Food for thought.

I am curious, what department does not specify the type of AR and the type of optic? This is a practice I am unfamiliar with.

Be well!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I should just get the Aimpoint I just was looking at others and trying to find a cheaper option but as dubb stated I shouldnt do that I was just looking for opinions.

Also dubb my department is very very small and we can carry what ever we want our chief just has to ok it. We have one officer that has a mini 14 in his trunk and one that has a replica m1 garand so we just use what we have basically.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an aimpoint M2 and I like it. I use it for entry and as my second when going to my hide. I've yet to change the battery and it just plain works. I don't have that much of a problem with washout.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I prefer iron sights. I have tried the ACOG reflex II (still have it) and it definitely will not do for an entry gun. Outdoors maybe but indoors in a lighted environment it is the pits.

Don't know about the Eotech...several knowledgable people like them.

I have an Ampoint CompII - it is a good sight, but if I am going "dynamic" I want an iron sight and even though my pop up auxillary sight looks through my aimpoint I cannot shoot on the move up close as well as with my carbine that has no optics on it at all. At 25 to 100 yards the aimpoint is better but we die at 5 yards and less.

That said, I need to work on just looking through the aimpoint with the dot off at the front sight - that may work. I am still on the "learning curve" here :)

Food for thought,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
You need a powered sight if you're going to be shooting in other than pefect conditions and especially when moving from light to dark and vv. The Aimpoint CompM2 remains the best choice for this work and is compatable with NVDs as well.

In addition fit a fixed rear sight, there's no time to take your hand off the carbine to "flip" anything in a situation like this. Keep the sight up if it folds and it'll always be where you expect it to be.

If you need sights under 25 meters you need to shoot more. ;)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thank you Jim that was a great reply. We do not have a swat team so I can't go to those guys for advice. I had not thought about the fixed or flip buis yet but that is a good point to just leave it up.

Also... what about the Trijicon Tri-Power. Anyone have experience with that. You can get it from Brownells for $412.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts