1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some pros/cons to the red dot sights (i.e. Optima 2000).
I can have one installed for about $60.00 more than tritium sights, and something about the red dot appeals to me.
I have a Kimber Compact Stainless for defensive and IDPA/target use.
Anyone out here have good reasons to save the $60???....or good reasons to spend the $60?

I'm looking for peer justification.

Regards

Bill

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have a friend with one on a Glock 9mm and loves it. I have heard on larger recoiling guns they don't hold up. For the price you almost cant go wrong if they warranty them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the Optima on 1911 9mm and 38super and think they are the best thing to come down the pike..The price is right and they are light enough so as you won't effect balance at all..Might be hard to holster for
CCW but worth the try..
BTW I am going to put one on a 45 soon and see no problems..They work great on a Ciener
conversion also..
Try one,,you will like them !!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've had one mounted on the slide of my .38 super for about 1000 rds so far. It has held up very well with no ****fting of adjustments or other problems.

One thing to consider, however. With the Optima, the brighter the ambient light, the brighter the dot. Unlike Tritium sights the Optima 2000 dot will get much weaker as light levels drop. I found this out the hard way when I had to shoot thru a barrel in an IPSC match. It was darker in there and the dot just about disappeared. I hadn't realized this when I bought mine and have now decided to use a different sight.

You mentioned tritium night sights in your post so I thought I'd throw that out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts