1911Forum banner

Oral Boards

729 2
Well I know this a gun forum, but I noticed someone else posted a question on the subject. I just got out of the military as a MP for 6 years. I am in the process of gettting hired at a department, and my next step is the Oral Board, can you guys give a heads up what to expect. Is this going to be like a military board. I'd rather not be blind-sided walking ni there.
Thanks
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Guido: I think your experience in the military as an M.P. will definitely be a help to you in the oral boards. The panel will compile a list of standard questions that they ask each candidate the same way. Then they may off shoot depending on how you answer a particular question. They wll be looking for eye contact, the way you stand and so on. I know I don't have to tell you this but, do not sit down until you are told to do so. Think about the question before you answer it. Once you answer and you feel you are correct, don't deviate from your response. Stick to your guns. They will be looking at your decisiveness. They may through some "what if's" at you so be ready. The questions may include a couple "hot topics for the area" such as domestic violence, race relations and the like. Based on you question I can't determine if the department is going to be conducting their own board or if it will be done by an outside agency. Here in N.J. we have the Chiefs Association that will come in and do the oral boards. They ask broad reaching questions that could apply to a small or large agency. A single department tends to taylor the questions to their needs so its really kind of hard to say without knowing that.

· Registered
Prized 1911A1 - Nighthawk Custom I built while attending gunsmithing program at Montgomery CC
273 Posts
Having set up and participated in the process, be prepared for general questions to determine your character under stress. Always tell the truth as clearly as you can and don't try to hide anything. For example, a college kid that tried to go to work at my former department got wrapped around the axle about smoking dope, the whole Clinton response. For his word games, and his unwillingness to accept blame or consequences, he got passed.

Try to determine the composition of the board. If it's all executives, find out what kind of problems the department you have has had in the past. If it's street sergeants and FTOs, be prepared for some really direct questions. Either way, I agree that you will have an easier time with your background as an MP. I work with a lot of guys that have that in their background and they tend to be great street cops.

Oral boards are a breeze if you have character, imho. Good luck. If you're getting out near Campbell, Clarksville PD is hiring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.