1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Orange County California and am looking for a good gunsmith. Has anyone had experiences with Bolsa Gun? Should I look for someone who works on 1911s more than anything? Who are some good people in this area. Thanks for the help!!!:)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
For 1911 work, stick with places that built and stake their reputation on the quality of their 1911 work.

There are only three places I would take my 1911 to in CA: Jim Hoag (James W. Hoag) in Canoga Park, John Jardine in the Bay area, and King's Gunworks in Glendale. Their reputations are world-wide.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glendale is probably the closest for me. I will try to contact Kings. Do you possibly have a phone number or do they have a website? Thank you for the information. It's really going to help me out!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Also check out Evan's Gunsmithing Shooter's World in the city of Orange. www.egsw.com.

They are a full service Gunsmith/range/proshop/training facility. The local PD shoots there (for what that's worth).

I know he works on 1911s as well as AR platforms.

Evan is helpful. He's always answered my emails whenever I had a question -- he doesn't even know me. He's close, and offers a lifetime warrantee on his work.

While I have not had them do any Smithing, I used to shoot there all the time and a friend of mine purchased her first gun from EGSW. They included a 3 month membership and let her visit/shoot her piece during the 10 day waiting period. Customer service alone makes Evan's worth consideration.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have shot at Evan's and seen his AR work. Looked good. They are very friendly as well. Customer service was great. Anyone else had experience with them? Know how he does with 1911s?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
There is also Alan Tanaka in Gardena. Another very well known pistolsmith.
AT Custom Gun Works
17924 South Hobart Blvd
Gardena, CA 90248
310-327-2721
FAX 310-327-4641

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Evans... eh.. :barf: :eek: They were grumpy as hell when I took my dad and sis there to shoot, and wouldn't even let my little sister shoot w/ a parent there. :rolleyes: Plus they overcharged me a buttload! 2 guns rented plus 2 boxes each plus a few targets and 2 lanes equals $115!! Closest range to me but will never see any business from me again.

For 1911 work I'll recommend George over at "The Gunsight" in Fullerton. He's a 1911 lover, and especially loves Colts when most other stores praise the Kimbers. Though, I gotta say, ever since he sold me a Kimber Series I on consignment, last time I stopped by, he was flipping through a catalogue trying to figure out which Kimber to order next for the store. I've never seen him carry a Kimber previously, I think we have a convert :D

Where exactly is Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster. Is their firearm collection big and worth browsing through? I always love stopping by shops to look over what they have. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Where exactly is Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster. Is their firearm collection big and worth browsing through? I always love stopping by shops to look over what they have.

It's on Bolsa Ave west of Beach Blvd about two/three blocks...
going west on Bolsa from Beach Blvd it's the first building on the left after you cross the railroad tracks.

I moved from Orange County about 20 months ago. I had Bolsa Gunsmithing do a trigger job on a O/U shotgun and repair a safety on a small pistol.......I was disappointed with both jobs.
Take the advice offered above and take your pistol somewhere other than Bolsa.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always love stopping by shops to look over what they have.

If you have not done so yet you might want to visit The Stockade. It's a gun store on Westminster Ave about 30 yards east of Beach Blvd. When I lived in OC I purchased a couple of guns from them........they are a mite pricey but they have a large selection.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bolsa is on Bolsa (duh :D ) in Westminster just east of the 405 - take the Springdale/Bolsa exit and go east, it's in a small industrial strip on the south side of the street about 1/2 mile from the freeway.

They did a nice ramp & polish job on a Combat Commander of mine on the recommendation of the Garden Grove PD armorer about 10 years ago; I think they still do a lot of work for PDs.

One drawback is they're only open 9-5 M-F, so you can't stop by on a weekend or evenings.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I've been there brfore

71sport408,

Yes I've been there before and had them do some work for me in the past. I think their Ok guys to do work or you but the ONLY problem is that they close on the weekends! For me that's bad. If I get a chance I want them to do a trigger job on my "Firestorm" 45 as it has a terrible trugger pull. If the rain holds out I'l see them perhaps this week as I'm on vacation. Currently they seem be a service center for a good number of gun factories so you decide and besides gunsmiths don't grow on trees around here in Southern California anymore.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I believe everyone should make an informed decision. It would be worth the extra time to make an appointment w/Jim Hoag and drive out to his shop for a look-see.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can't find a web site, but here is an address:

HOAG GUN WORKS
James W.Hoag
8523 Canoga Ave.
Ste.C
Canoga Park,CA 91304
(818)998-1510

I don't know if it's still current.

--Mark

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
It's the current address. His shop is in a small industrial park just north of Roscoe Blvd. on the west side of the street.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Amadeus, Jim's "reasonable" for the quality of the work performed. He does offer several different "packages" that represent a savings over the "a la carte" list of modifications. One can even add to or upgrade these packages, as well.

After you get done drooling over the guns, look at the muscle and classic cars being restored a few doors down.

Tell Jim Andy said, "Hello!" Heck, I need to give him a call. Last time I went to L.A. on business, I took him a couple of Kimber Series Is ( a Royale and a Compact) to be lightly massaged and have some Novak r/sights and ambi. safeties installed. They turned out super.

When I received the pistols, I sent him a spare complimentary CZ-52 for he and his son to play with and see if he could get a decent trigger on it. Told him that after he had it sorted out, I'd send him mine for a trigger job. I hear his son won't let him have it back. He hasn't spoken to me since... :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts