1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I disassembled the lda 14.45 again for cleanup and the barrel still has this orange hue. This time I used Pro Shot Copper II on it (as well as Rem Bore Brite.) Ah the smell seemed strong enough to dissolve away all forms of matter, but the elusive orange hue is still present. I ran the brush through maybe 10 times, and bore snaked it when all finished. It's clean for sure. But the color is a bit too similar to rust color not to be disconcerting. This color is only inside the barrel, rest of gun looks great.

I don't have a digi camera good enuf to capture it but under bright daylight, it's pretty obvious.

I have run aprox. 700 fiocchi or s&b fmj.

Does anyone else have this orange hue?

tgk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just looked at mine...has some orangish streaking. gonna soak it in hoppe's for an hour and scrub it and se what happens.

does itlook like this?:
I'm hoping it's just copper fouling.

hth,
EDG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bingo.

It's the same. Let me know how the soaking works out. Excellent pics, much appreciated.

tkg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by tkg:
Bingo.

It's the same. Let me know how the soaking works out. Excellent pics, much appreciated.

tkg

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Here's another pic after cleaning with shooters choice(which didn't seem to do much for the orange stuff) then a scrubbing followed by soaking in hoppe's copper solvent and another round of scrubbing with a .50 bore brush. now all the formerly orange streaks are shiney silverish looking. I'm beginning to think it was rust and not copper because the soaking in the hoppes didn't do much more than the shooters choice did and it took scrubbing to get it out. I'll be putting some good oil on it and then keeping an eye on how it looks after my next shooting session to see whether it's picking up copper or rusting.

EDG

[This message has been edited by para-EDGe (edited 03-17-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
It’s copper. It won’t hurt a thing. A little fouling in the barrel is a good thing. The copper tends to lightly grab and fill in/smooth out all the bumps/tool marks.

Montana Gold bullets leave behind gold/yellow streaks.

I shot benchrest for a long time and the rule was and still is, if its dirty and still shooting, don’t go fixing what isn’t broke.

If you want to see some copper, just look inside my 375 JRS after 15 rounds of 300 gn Barnes X bullets.

Tom Freeman
http://www.limitedgun.com/PPPS

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Freeman:
It’s copper. It won’t hurt a thing. A little fouling in the barrel is a good thing. The copper tends to lightly grab and fill in/smooth out all the bumps/tool marks.

Montana Gold bullets leave behind gold/yellow streaks.

I shot benchrest for a long time and the rule was and still is, if its dirty and still shooting, don’t go fixing what isn’t broke.

If you want to see some copper, just look inside my 375 JRS after 15 rounds of 300 gn Barnes X bullets.

Tom Freeman
http://www.limitedgun.com/PPPS
Now that I think about it somemore your probably right, but thisbbl has always had a strange ability to turn colors. all my other Para bbls seem to not do this...I'll have to investigate further, but I think it'll probably not crop up since i really scrubbed the bbl well and oiled with really good oil. maybe it's just a little rougher than most because I've not shot it that much.

EDG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts