1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent my check today on a GI No Name Government. I planned on getting a different manufacturer 1911 but hearing everyone rave about GI I figured I'd give them a try. I have an Ed Brown Executive Elite, naked slide love it. I wanted the naked slide on the other 1911, but I would have had to wait a long time for one or send it out to have the roll marks removed. I also liked the sights and melonite on the GI. I had an early TRS Les Baer I loved that gun, except for the FCS and the markings on the slide, had to sell it when I got divorced. I had a Les Baer SRP that too was a very good gun, hated the Bear Coat finish and I do not think the price difference between that and the TRS was worth it. I traded that away. The Ed Brown is a never sell, and I'm hoping the GI will be the same. It will be a daily carry and get shot often. For those that have the melonite finish how does it hold up? Pics and range report as soon as I get it, should be next week. :rock:

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Congratulations. Guncrafter makes a solid gun. Mine,two of my Ed Browns, and one Baer will never come to the chopping block.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Congrats on making a solid choice. I have a few GI's and I carry my NN commander quite a lot (in leather)and I've noticed no wear at all. Seems very durable. Easy clean up too.
Also,the 15 lpi is one of the best functional checkering I've experienced

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Good deal. I'm only about a day or two ahead of you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Congrats on the Guncrafter. They are great guns. I have a 5" govt in .45acp and a commander in 9mm. Both were smooth as silk with a very crisp trigger right out of the box. I find them very accurate with both factory and reloads.
I also really like the 15lpi grip.
The finish seems to be holding up very well, i draw and shoot from a leather holster every week at the range. Enjoy, I'm sure you will like it.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Awesome gun. You will be very impressed. Enjoy

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome to the club!!

You won't be disappointed.

-Ray

·
Registered
306 Posts
GI are the shhhh.... poo!

Just don't use clp on them..........

Other than that, the melonite is awesome. IMO it's the best for hard use.

What options did you get?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the standard gun no special options, the only thing I might have liked is the round butt mainspring housing and a flush cut barrel. It was a toss up between the melonite and hard chrome. I really want a hard use carry every day defense pistol. I forgot to say in my initial post I sold an excellent Chantilly Fat Trigger H&K p7m8 to buy the GI. I found it in a gun store in NJ with everything it came from the factory with from 1984. I have now bought, and sold three p7m8's to buy 1911's over the years.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nice choice on picking GI. You will love it. Alex Z. and his crew do a very fine job of building and will have lots of personal attention given to it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think my No Name will be delivered tomorrow. Big Thanks to CJ at 1911 Heaven. Great guy to do business with, and very helpful with answering all my questions on the Guncrafter line. Range report with pics as soon as I get it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts