1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with the application process for a non-resident carry permit in Oregon? www.packing.org mentions that there is some provision for it, but isn't specific about the necessary steps to get one. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it can be done without making a couple of special trips to the Sheriff's department.

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Terrato, I live in No. Ca. I called the sheriff's office across the border from me. They told me my reasons weren't good enough. There was someone from Wa. on one of these boards that got approved for one. Or. is a shall issue state, only for residents. May issue for non-residents.
==================================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your post, raspy.

With the number of people from Washington I've seen on this board, I'm shocked no one from my state seems to have at least tried to get one.

I wonder if "good enough" is heavily influenced by which sheriff you talk to, like it seems to be in many "may issue" states...

------------------
-- James Thurber

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live in Vancouver, WA which is just across the Columbia River from Portland, OR. It took me a few months to complete the application process for an Oregon CHL. Non-residents do have to jump through a few hoops in the process but if you are persistant, you will be rewarded.

I first had to contact the county sheriff's office and ask them to mail a non-resident CHL application packet to me. Choose the sheriff wisely. Some will rarely issue CHLs to non-residents. I chose Clackamas County. I believe you have a better chance in the more rural counties. In the CHL application packet will be a set of instructions that will help guide you through the process.

Here is a brief summery of what I had to do to to get my Oregon CHL:

I had to attend a CHL class. Mine was a 4 hour lecture on gun safety, the law as it pretains to CHL, and the use of deadly force. No range time was required.

Next I had to write a letter to the sheriff asking for permission to make an appointment to submit my CHL application. Your letter to the sheriff must include the reasons you feel you should be allowed to apply for a CHL. You can't go any further until you get permission. If you do not get permission, try another county.

You must also write a letter to the Dept. of Mental Health in Olympia, WA and ask them to provide an official letter that states that you do not appear in their data base and that you have not been involuntarily institutionalized. You will have to submit this letter with you CHL application.

After about a month, I finally received permission from the sheriff to make an appointment to submit my application. Keep in mind that I only have permission to APPLY for my CHL, but if you make it this far, it's pretty much smooth sailing from here. I then called the CHL office at the Clackamas County Courthouse to schedule an appointment. I went there, submitted all my paperwork, got fingerprinted, had my picture taken, and gave them $65. It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to process. I got mine in 4.

I probably omitted a few things, but these are the important parts. It takes more waiting than anything else. You just have to be patient and persistant. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> DANO45, if you don't mind my asking, what was the reason that you put down for wanting a non-resident CHL? If you don't want to post, that's fine.

Thanks,

============================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
42 Posts
raspy,

I gave the sheriff several reasons why I thought I should be allowed to have an Oregon CHL. I think the more reasons you have the better your chances.

Reason 1: One of my jobs requires me to travel back and forth between Oregon and Washington. Sometimes several times a day. Sometimes with large amounts of cash.

Reason 2: My future wife works as a night manager at a resturant and is sometimes required to make bank deposits late at night. Many people know she makes these deposits. Since I always pick her up from work, I'm the one who takes her to the bank.

Reason 3: My friends and I do a lot of hiking in Oregon. With the increased sightings of bear and cougar I just don't feel safe without a firearm. I could carry openly, but the natives tend to freak out and I'd rather not advertise the fact that I have a gun.

Those are the reasons I gave the sheriff in my initial letter. I'm not to sure which one was the most legitamate to them. To tell you the truth, I'm not convinced that they actually read the letter. I think maybe they just wanted to see if I was willing to jump through all the hoops.

I hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also live in Vancouver. My wife and I have had our Oregon permits for a couple of years I think. We went through Tillamook county because we own a condo in Rockaway Beach. We gave similar reasons as Dano 45. We were told we had to have "business" in Oregon. We wrote that we had a condo there and spent time there, my brother lives in Salem and we go there often and that our inside range is in Portland. I am happy they gave us one, just hope they renew it when it comes time!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Big Arm Hannigan,

Good to see a fellow Vancouverite here. I was just wondering what indoor range in Portland you go to. I mainly go to The Place To Shoot on Hayden Meadows Dr in Delta Park. They're a great bunch of people. They let me use their tactical range where I get to run around and shoot at stuff, practice my presentations, shoot from cover, shoot in low light , and whatever else I need to work on.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> DANO45,and BAH, thanks for the info.
I might try again for a non-resident Or. CCW.
I would of thought it would have been easier, because, I have the hard to get Ca. permit, I guess not.

=========================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
850 Posts
I thought Oregon and Washington reciprocated on CCW permits. Am I wrong?

If I'm right, why would you need an Oregon permit?

------------------
ACK

"Make the First Shot Count"!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DANO45,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like a bit of a hassle, but I may be travelling to Oregon a lot more in the future than I do now (only once or twice a year), so it's good to know what it's going to take...

TAckerman,

Oregon does not seem to recognize any other states' permits, hence the question. Permits from Oregon are recognized by a few other states, however, it seems to be the same states that recognize the Washington permit as well... If you want to carry in Oregon, it seems you have to deal with them directly.

------------------
-- James Thurber

[This message has been edited by Terrato (edited 12-08-2001).]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dano45,
My wife (Flathead Floozy) and I use The Place to Shoot also. We took several (maybe 6) classes from Rich there and really enjoyed it. We sometimes use the tactical range, but haven't lately. I think its time to do so again. By the way, our names are our aliases for cowboy action shooting. Ever done that? It is a blast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts