1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the case of Performance Center Firearms, some models come in the PC metal case or a PC gun rug, in both cases they are shipped within a cardboard shipping box which has the serialized end label on the box. If the item no longer has the labeled shipping box, I assume it cannot be claimed as having its original serialized box? Hope this made sense and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
I don't think S&W has used absolutely consistent packaging over the years for their PC guns.

Years ago my S&W PC 1911 came in a blackish-gray plastic case.

At a similar point in time, my S&W "Pro" 1911 came in a similarity styled, but smaller, blue plastic case.

I don't have these cases with me at the moment, but I think they both are labelled with the gun's serial number.

These might well have been (and probably were) shipped within a cardboard container, but I never saw such container.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, and I do understand what you are saying, the majority of firearms are shipped in a serialized case or box of some sort that the gun lives in. My question is specific to PC guns, for those that come in the metal PC case or a PC gun rug that are not serialized, but instead they are shipped in a box that is labeled. For example if someone is selling a PC gun and says it’s has its original metal PC case (not serialized) but doesn’t have the original labeled box that the metal case came in, then it can’t be claimed as having original serialized box, correct?

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Apparently S&W has changed its PC gun containers from the time I purchased mine. E.g., there was no metal case (without serial number) or gun rug when I purchased mine. Instead, there was a hard plastic case (larger than the similarly styled cases used at the time for non-PC guns) and which did (I'm pretty sure) bear the gun's serial number. So at that time, there was no question of the gun matching its permanent case (that is, if the buyer were to use the case for permanent storage).

Hopefully someone else with familiarity with the more current packaging might come along with a better answer than mine. Still, I suspect you are 100% correct (with your concluding presumption). I fear I'd be guessing rather than absolutely factual if I were to comment further on packaging I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The more I think about this, regardless of how a gun is shipped, I think you have to retain whatever has the serialized label, even if it’s a box that a case came in to be able to claim’ original/serialized’
Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
In the case of Performance Center Firearms, some models come in the PC metal case or a PC gun rug, in both cases they are shipped within a cardboard shipping box which has the serialized end label on the box. If the item no longer has the labeled shipping box, I assume it cannot be claimed as having its original serialized box? Hope this made sense and thanks in advance!
OK, just to clarify, I have included a picture of my Model 27 with all factory packaging. Its not a PC gun as you are asking about. But it may have relevance to your question.

My gun was shipped in a Blue two piece box (in the middle of the photo) with a serialized end label and wrapped in a VCP paper with the owners manual and an assortment of cleaning tools and sight screwdriver. This box was shipped in a larger cardboard shipping box that also included the wooden display case and a cardboard filler. All of this (except the tools, they were under the literature) is visible in the photo. The large shipping box that held all the items (on the right in the photo) is seldom present when I have seen advertisements "With original serialized box". What I have found is most of the time its the Box that the firearm was actually packed in that is referenced (in this case the box in the middle of the photo). Not the plain brown outer shipping box. I also have a 686 that came in a blue plastic hinged factory box that was advertised as "in original box with accessories" and did not include a factory shipping box of any kind as it may have been in a box with 10 other guns. Knowing exactly what your gun shipped with and how it was packaged, and what level of collectibility you expect is important to defining what you have as the "Original Box".

If the PC gun you are referencing is only in a pistol rug, most likely the original box is missing. If its in a factory hard side case, it may be in its "Original Box". With or without a label. As others have said, S&W has not been consistent at all throughout the years with their packaging.

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Years ago I was buying S&W P.C. Guns as the gun of the month. I had quite a few. Maybe a dozen still. They came in blue smith and wesson marked boxes. An aftermaket gun box, doezck. Or some brand that started with a D. Those were mid 90s. A couple had a cardboard box, with a gun rug inside. Then the very cool metal carry case. They all had labels. If it has the box. It should have the label on the box or inside the box. The blue smith and wesson boxes had a habit of labels falling off. If I wanted a P. C. Gun I would be more interested in condition than label and box. But thats just me. The label does make a difference in price. The really old pc guns were the best, the early years pre 1993.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts