1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or is something fishy going on here?

http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/089699000/89699835/pix399395359.jpg

This label is supposed to be for a 1975 Blued Colt Combat Commander but it looks like some one has taken a blank or semi-blank label and tried to pass it off.
My belief is based on a comparison with a correct 1977 Nu plated Combat Commander box/label:

In the 1977 label the first 4 digits of the Model Number (0461), and the first 2 digits of the Serial Number (70) are part of the original label printing, and the remainder of the digits are written in.

In the suspect label, I believe the Model Number is incorrect: D-4612, should be 04612, and the finish, and incorrect serial number are written in a different ink, then the correct serial number is recorded in the factory order block.

Is this a case of a trainee at Colt having a bad day, or has someone tried to fake the correct label?

Any input from others with period correct boxes would be appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't have any O frame boxes but I have two revolver boxes from the same time period. One is a Diamondback; the model number D and the second digit 5 are pre-printed with the remainder handwritten. The serial number is handwritten entirely. The second box is a Python and the I of the model number is pre-printed with the rest of the model number, as well as the serial number, handwritten.

On the label in question, the first digit of the model number should be an O, right? In the photo it almost looks like it could be an O instead of a D but why isn't it pre-printed?

I know they couldn't pre-print any of the revolver serial numbers like I'm looking at since there's no common prefix, but they could have pre-printed the 70 of the serial number for the Combat Commander.

Hopefully some others with Commander boxes will chime in.

Edit : It's too early plus I've been sick. The Diamondback does have a common D prefix in the serial number but this was made in '76, around the time they would have changing from a D to an N prefix.

I have an idea Colt pre-printed as little as possible.

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
I always saw the SN being written in with a felt tipped writing instrument. So on my 1977 Gold Cup Natl. Match, there is a printed 70N, and the rest is written in. The picture below does not show that well. Sorry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts