1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd share some photo's and a quick description of my "un-pedigreed" old roll mark Colt Commander. I bought it off of a popular shooting website classified as is. I could see there was some pretty nice custom work done but it was not described very well. I'm pretty happy with how/what it turned out to be.

This Colt commander began it's life in 1994 as a matte-blued finish on carbon steel, not a very attractive finish in my opinion. Since then, someone spent some bucks on it to have the following custom work done (at least this is what I can see.)
1). Milled the front and rear of the slide to accept Heine sights
2). Flared and tapered the ejection port
3). Checkered the front strap w/20 LPI.
4). Flared the mag well
5). Nicely fitted an upswept beaver tail grip safety (maybe Smith & Alexander)
6). Fitted a stainless extended single sided thumb safety (maybe Ed Brown)
7). Installed a modified lanyard looped mainspring housing (lanyard loop trimmed)
8). Lightly dehorned all sharp edges
9). Installed black double-diamond grip panels with stainless hex-head screws
10). Applied a new finish that I've been told was satin nickel, but I'm not fully convinced it is not hard chrome as it doesn't have a scratch/mark on it in true hard chrome fashion. I know the finish was not just recently done as it was very dirty (externally) when I received it but it cleaned up well.

I'm not sure what was done internally, if anything. The hammer/sear/disconnect look to be stock. I can't tell that the feed ramp has been worked on. The slide action is very tight and smooth. It functions great.

Hope it sounds like I'm happy!

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
VERY nice gun. That sure looks like electroless nickel to me. I have worked on a few of the older Colt nickeled guns and that finish is pretty tough. Love the full wrap checkering. Someone did a nice job.

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
I think it's a pretty smart-looking pistol. I have one that's unmodified, but if I wanted a custom Commander it would make an excellent base gun and the end result would probably be similar to yours. The only thing I don't like about it is the slick mainspring housing, because I always need a lot of traction back there on my guns.

·
Registered
23,180 Posts
I could give sort of a before picture. A few years ago on a bet from a fellow shooter that I could not find any Colt I would want to buy in a gun store for less than $500, I found one. Not sure about the original grips. It had some interesting naked lady grips on it I sold to a kid in the gun store. It had a SS FLGR in it I sold to a friend and replaced with stock Colt parts. The grips I put on are from the old Ajax Co. It had an arched composite MSH I replaced with a flat one again ordered off the Colt website back when you could order stuff there. I was going to flip it but it shoots very well so I have hung onto it. I called Colt and they say it was made in 1991.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, I too would have chosen a checkered MSH, but if I change it out now for a stainless one it won't match as well....so I guess I won't. Also. I'd done an undercut of the trigger guard if I were prescribing the build. I can accept some compromise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts