1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not gun related, but as some of you know, I'm in the Navy and in Primary (flight school) right now. Passed my check ride and soloed on Friday. For those of you familiar with the Pensacola, FL area I flew from Whiting Field in Milton out to "Area 1" (I-10 south to the coast and from about Saufley Field West to Mobile Bay.

Got to fly for an hour and a half, did 4 bounces at Saufley, went to depart and the Rwy duty officer told me I could stick around, so I did, got another 4 down and headed out. Much much easier to deal with everything without an instructor in the rear, peaceful actually :biglaugh:

Get to start Aerobatics next week. Really looking forward to that. Hard to believe I'm getting paid for this job.

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
Congratulations on this great milestone! It only gets better. Good luck and thanks for serving!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Clock started, starter switch on, battery above ten volts, ignition light on, fuel pressure light out, rise in oil rpessure N1 12%,condition lever to feather..LOL

Congrats on your solo, I'm a VT86 student at nas pensacola, RDO duty sucks, gonna try and cross to pilot in a few years, keep up the good work. We go shooting all the time in cantonement, shoot me a buzz sometime. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
Nice to hear from you again, Ugly. Thought you disappeared! Sounds like you two should get together.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah I have been pretty busy, looking to get winged here in about 3 months if I get my first choice, I tract select my aircraft in about 3 weeks. Choices are F15Es or the B1 lancer, I am actually leaning towards the B1B, easier transition to pilot training as oposed to the F15, but NO Gs..so it will not be as dynamic.

·
Registered
987 Posts
They are flying the T34C turbo mentor, based on the beechcraft bonanza except it has a 550 hp turbo prop. Low wing, aerobatic, cramped as hell, but pretty entertaining. Here is a pic from one of my last flights in same airplane.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Ugly, My wife is one of the civvie PR's for VT-86 she works nights. Go in and she will be happy to talk guns. She will tell you about her Kimber, don't believe her, it's mine. Small world.

YammyMonkey, congrats. When did you go through API?

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Ugly-Jeep-Truck said:
Choices are F15Es or the B1 lancer, I am actually leaning towards the B1B, easier transition to pilot training as oposed to the F15, but NO Gs..so it will not be as dynamic.
B1B definetly has more legroom. I used to know the XO of the 317th FIS when they were stationed up here at McChord AFB (I think the unit is disbanded now and its colors/insignia stored up). If it was my call I would go with the F15. In those days they were intercepting Red recon flights along the pacific coast on a regular basis. They had some pretty funny stories to tell including a time when they intercepted a Russian Bear and the commie pilot was wearing a rubber Ronald Reagan mask.

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
987 Posts
There are not too many female PR gals, is she the tall blond one? Also if I was going to be career weapons system officer it would be F15 all the way, especially since we get alot of stick time in them, but my goal is pilot training, and right now B1B is the hot ticket for crossing over, plus it gets me out of VT-86 like 2 months faster. Is she T2 pr I assume?

Hey Yam, what API class were you, I was 0246, nothing like the mile swim after forgetting your goggles :lol:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, wasn't expecting to start that!

Thanks guys.

I don't remember what my class number was in API, graduated in end of July or early August. I do remember getting done with the mile swim and thinking it must be really humid in the pool because I could see a vapor halo around all the lights. No, that's what happens when you spend that much time in chlorine water without goggles.

Ugly, which range do you guys go to, the ECML range or the public one with the 5-stand and sporting clays? Not sure, but I think when I was on course rules over hwy 29 I could make out both of them in the trees.

Are you flying the T-6's or the Saberliners?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.