1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Otis kits are pretty nice I have the same shaped one on my flak jacket.
With that said I don't think you really need much to clean a 9mm. a 9mm brush maybe a swab, a flex rod to pull through (that otis rod is awesome btw) and a rag and cleaners. In truth there are way better things than CLP, a one stop shop isn't that good, that said I clean with CLP then put rem oil dry lube on the pistol and grease on the rails. Many use better stuff than me, CLP only really works when wet. Otis AP brushes do not work nearly as well as cheap standard green double ended AP brushes.

All in all I don't think you get your money's worth, now the 556 kit I think you kinda do IF you need COMPACT. your paying a high price for compact and sacrificing some function (the brushes)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I agree with yocan.

I have the Otis kits and as much as I love using them, sometimes I just grab my GunSlick or my Kleen Bore conventional rods and brushes and scrub away. You're better off using a decent copper solvent and lead remover to clean out the barrel than the CLP that's included in the Otis kits. The compactness of the Otis kits is definitely a plus but when you really want to clean the barrel, go old skool. One thing I should add it that anytime I needed parts from Otis, they were so quick to ship me the goods. Their customer service is outstanding.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
I bought the "professional" kit, that was $41, best $41 I ever spent. Use it on all my rifles and pistols, makes it easy because everything is the same, I don't need to keep switching from my short stick to long one etc etc. I love it, great company too, I had one that swelled from a cleaner that they said was "Safe" they took the bad flex-wand back, sent me a new plus 2 bottles of their cleaner to make up for me throwing away the other brand, 3 packages of their swabs, as well as a 50% off coupon. Great company, turns out that my pull through was out of spec, and the coating that swelled was just a bad one. Great company and product.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I use Mobile 1 for all lube including the rails. I would think that RIG would be too thick and might get too stiff if cold. But if it works for you...

Hoppes #9 and Mobile 1 take care of almost all my needs. The "Super" gun lubes just cost more but are not better.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like 'em a lot :rock: And you can get them for wayyyyyyyyy cheaper...just look around. One of the local shops here sells a universal type kit for $29.99 and there are cheaper one's than that.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
I like 'em a lot :rock: And you can get them for wayyyyyyyyy cheaper...just look around. One of the local shops here sells a universal type kit for $29.99 and there are cheaper one's than that.
Ya I picked up my universal one (the kit that comes with pistol/rifle/shotgun, and .17hmr) for $41.99. Great little kits!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Mobil 1 is probably the next I'll try, before I decide on what I'll use. Right now, using ATF on one pistol, a dry Teflon on another (rails only - use oil as rust preventative) & using Hoppe's oil on the third. So far I like the ATF best. The teflon seems to be good, but it's a hassle to use two different products to lube. Also, the teflon is some I've had for a long time, put out by Hoppes & I don't think they market it anymore. The ATF & Hoopes oil are the easiest to find.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
We were issued those kits brand new with our M9s when we shot in the Western Division Shooting Competition at Camp Pendleton last year. They get the job done but in no way do I understand why they would cost 75 bucks. I've got a 25 dollar kit that I bought back in 2003 or 2004 that I'm still using to clean my weapons.

If I were you I'd just build my own kit. Just buy the specific parts and supplies that meet your needs, and throw em in a tackle box, or ammo can or something.

·
Registered
879 Posts
WalMart has a cleaning kit for about $30. Covers as small as .17 cal to I think as large as 12 ga and everything in between. Brass bore brushes, SS, brass and plastic bristled cleaning brushes, bore mops, and a bunch of other stuff all in an aluminum case. Works great for me

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
WalMart has a cleaning kit for about $30. Covers as small as .17 cal to I think as large as 12 ga and everything in between. Brass bore brushes, SS, brass and plastic bristled cleaning brushes, bore mops, and a bunch of other stuff all in an aluminum case. Works great for me
I got mine for the pull through. Primarily because I wanted to run patches down the bore of my .17's and .22's every 20 rounds for the 17, and every 100 for my .22's. Plus, my marlins/henry's are all solid receivers so I hate to mess up crowns and opted for the Otis. I bought mine on sale at midways. $41.79 including shipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts