1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
74,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some here may know, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a nice 1942 vintage WB-marked Colt in the sub-800,000 serial range. Well, after months with no success I am suddenly told by a local gun dealer that he had a couple old GI Colts in the back. He brings them out, and lo and behold one is a 1942 WB, s/n #796XXX! I looked it over, and all the parts were original. However, the finish was badly worn (about 60% remaining) plus the bore was wall-hanger grade. I thought, "okay, they'll probably ask a fairly steep price like $900 or something, but I can afford it since it's the only one I've found". I asked how much.

$1400.00!!!!!

I couldn't believe it. I told him a minty example is worth that much, not one in this condition. He said the owner wouldn't budge on the price. Owner wasn't in, of course. By the way the second 1911 was a late 1918 WW1 1911 that had been arsenal refinished by Springfield Armory. 80% finish, grips thrashed, bore corroded. $1200.00 plus the Governor's share.

Next week when the owner is supposedly in I'll try to have a talk with him regarding the WB Colt, but I think I may have to just walk away and keep looking.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Why are they keeping a consignment weapon in the back? Sounds like a scam to me. But your not it, so thats good.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
So dsk...
Was the thing made of silver or some other precious metal? That price seems way too steep for the condition as described. I'd put my walking shoes on if I was given that kinda price. Was this in Bothell by any chance?

Redzone....
Sometimes the owners of the guns put on consignment want them to stay in back to prevent excessive handling. Then only the best customers get to see the piece. Sometimes they don't sell and it's no fun getting them back scratched up due to careless customer handling.
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it was reasonably priced, you could buy it thinking you could upgrade on down the road. At that price, it would be hard to get out from under it without taking a hit. I say pass, also.

·
Administrator
74,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that I should pass. If I brought it home the others in the safe would think it had the Mange, and would hiss and spit at it.

Still irks me to come so close, yet still be so far. And to be insulted by what folks think they can get out of price gouging these days.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Guess I should feel very fortunate for getting a 1915 mfg Colt Commercial Government in about 95% condition, last month for $450 Canadian (what's that, about $300 US?) Sounds like Colts are really a big ticket item in the States, in just about any condition!

DSK - I'd pass on that one. Better to wait for a better one to come along, that you don't mind spending that kind of money on.

Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
NAA...
So how about sending some of those $300(U.S.)Colt 1911s down our way. It sure would be easier on our pocketbooks if you would help your American friends out.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
SamColtFan - there aren't the numbers of Colts up here in Canada that you have in the US, obviously, but lots did make their way up here. Most common 1911's encountered are Commercial Governments from the 1914 - 1924 era, then a smattering of commercials after that to the 1960's. There are lots of USGI 1911A-1's mostly Rem-Rand and Ithaca, though, not too many Colts. There are lots of pre-Series '70 and Series '70 Govts and Gold Cups and then the Series 80 stuff, the enhanced and the 1991A-1's.

The prices here right now aren't really following the Blue Book. Mostly because of our current Federal Firearms law which has made a bit of a buyers market. (You have to have a federal Possession and Acquisition Licence to purchase firearms here now). Hence, my ability to acquire that treasure at the price that I did. A little while ago I saw a pre Series '70 National Match .45, with a period Colt .22 conversion unit, both excellent, with original boxes and papers, go at a gun show for $500 Canadian. Only reason I didn't end up with it, was I stopped off to pick-up a coffee enroute to the show. Had I been there 10 mins earlier, I would have been the owner of that one, too.

Anyway, that's the story up here right now. Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
817 Posts
So I guess a 1941 vintage, SN7532XX, is well worth the $450 I'm about to pay for it? 65-75% finish is remaining and it is still all Colt parts, untouched.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts