1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is to let you know that Fiocchi has at least one lot of over pressure ammo on the market. The ammo is .45 ACP, 230 gr FMJ, rated at 875 fps and 390 ft-lbs of energy (from the Fiocchi web site).

The lot information for this ammo is:

CIP 014
4012025-3180

I am posting this becasue I have been shooting a lot of Fiocchi ammo, and I now have damage to the breech face on two of my Colts. I have been advised by my gunsmith that this damage is due to over pressure ammo. His expanation is that the firing pin deforms the primer during ignition, as the powder burns the primer bulges back into the firing pin hole. This bulge along with the internal pressure of the burning powder hammers the breech face. In my case this hammering has dented the breech face in each pistol. In one pistol the damage was enough that the deformed firing pin hole captured the firing pin and wedged it in place. My gunsmith has now corrected this situation twice in one pistol; the most recent time after shooting 150 rounds of ammo. I will post photos as soon as I can.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I am not disputing that there MAY be a problem with this lot, but before you publically condemn it like you did here (and at pistolsmith.com), have you contacted Fiocchi, or its distributor where you purchased it from?

You did not name your gunsmith, yet you were very quick to name the brand of ammo?

Does your smith know what he's talking about? Again, not trying to be argumentative, but this may not be a fair representation of Fiocchi.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The firing pin hole in many slides is not an integral part of the slide, but a pressed or threaded bushing. If the bushing was not properly hardened, it can be peened and deformed.

A bunch of WWII slides were made with soft bushings, and it was common in the old days of IPSC for gunsmiths to replace the bushing. Clark made/makes an offset bushing for slides that are out of spec or barrels that have to be propped up so high the firing pin hit is off-center.

It may be the ammo, but it also may have been the bushing.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone

My gunsmith has posted an expanded explanation of what is happening following my original post at Pistolsmith.com. This does a better job than I have done above.

I have informed the dealer where I purchased this ammuntion of the situation, and shown them empty cases fired through my pistol and three of their rental pistols. I have also e-mailed Fiocchi USA about this. At present it is too soon to expect a reply. If I receive a reply I will relay then information.

I have photos of several empty cases and the damage to my slide, and have had the images scanned. I will post these images to the pistolsmith site, and possibly here, as soon as I learn how to do so.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts