1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night, I stopped to visit my brother. He lives and works in Detroit(a police officer). My sister in law jokingly asked how many guns I was carrying. I had my Kimber TLE in a Milt Sparks iwb, my SW 442 in my front pocket, and in my jacket pocket, a Keltec P3AT. Not to mention an Emerson knife and a Surefire flashlight. She asked if i thought I was overarmed. I said no.

For the record, she had her Kahr k9 on. And my brother...he had his issue Glock 22, and his own 442 in his pocket. My neices think every adult carries a gun. I did fail to mention the Ruger GP100 in my car...

SO, do you think I was overarmed?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Practically? Probably you were overarmed. Unless you were put under siege there is no way that you could bring that many weapons to bear effectively. However, if it makes you feel safer then that is your choice.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Nah. I don't like the idea of pocket carry myself, but I don't think you can be overarmed.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
you reminded me of reading about one of those union or confederate cavalry men who had multiple pistols in multiple rigs on their bodies and on their horses going into battle....not to mention spare pre loaded cylinders to drop in guns after original cylinder was spent......or was that something i saw in a movie somewhere.:scratch:

overarmed......??????

seriously confrontationally prepared......yep.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I think its good to be well armed all the time. But do you carry enough ammo this is where you might be out gunned for having enough ammo is the key. :scratch:
I don't know how it is where you live but the 9mm's are the main choice of the bad guys here.(firepower) They spray and pray.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Most I carried at one time (in Bridgeport CT) was my Delta Elite, Charter Bulldog and ADC M1 in .44 magnum. Silvertips in each gun.

Also had a CRKT LE 1*

Another time I had a single Taurus PT 92. Nothing else. Well, there was a Mec Gar 20 round mag in the gun and two spares in a double mag pouch. Also 20 round. Cor Bon 115 +p's in all three.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Nawwwwwww....Just a realist. I live in a suburb which ajoins Detroit, and often work midnights in the 5th Precinct . When I drive from I-94 to our company entrance at 10:30 pm I feel like Hawkeye running the gauntlet . I transferred to Warren and the day shift a few months ago . Now I work a few more hours a day for the same money but I feel safe . Best move I ever made.

I've heard that our petty crime is down as of last year, but murder and violent crime is still the highest in the nation. Life is not sacred here and only the strongest survive, albeit armed to the teeth. Keep safe...Tom

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Many would consider three pistols too much for a non-LEO, but then most people consider ONE pistol "too much" for a non-LEO, so if you're comfortable and don't feel overburdened, where's the harm?

The likelihood of needing even one CCW weapon is small but finite, and obviously most of us on this BB favor personal CCW, and I wouldn't be too surprised if that includes a BUG for many of us.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The problem with being "overarmed" is the lawsuit that follows self defense. Having a bunch of guns on you does not fair well with a Jury, ONE they would say should be enough; makes you look like yo are the one looking for trouble.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Here, here, Tim!

If I ever had to use a gun to defend myself I would want it to be a Benelli Super 90, a Model 94 Trapper in .44 magnum or an AR chambered in .50 Beowulf.

Can't rightly conceal those tho...

·
Administrator
79,364 Posts
A primary gun and a small backup should suffice. I fail to see the need for a third pistol, and especially one in the car as well. Don't forget the one in the vehicle may belong to the bad guy instead if you're not lucky. Cars are being stolen at an unbelieveable rate these days.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think I might get the deal with the third gun, in Seans case, and he can correct me if i am wrong, but I have been dealing with the following issue lately.
Its winter, 25 degrees outside right now, and i really want to button up my coat. So a third pocket gun, in addition to the holstered twosome I generaly carry sounds quite nice. But I have problems carrying less than .38 caliber guns. Another j-frame in addition to my belt gun might be the ticket. For open front jackets or shirts I think two guns is fine, but no disadvantage to three unless you have legitimate medical reasons to complain.
I haven't become comfortable with pocket carry yet, but it looks like it mght be a decent solution for the winter problem. I am going to think about it some.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I hear ya..

dsk said:
A primary gun and a small backup should suffice.
Amen. To each their own, but I worked with a guy at the gun shop who carried two full sized Sig P220's, an S&W 642 in a pocket, a Kel-Tec 32 in the other back pocket, and a NAA 22 lr in his front pocket. (5 guns) In addition, he carried two 5 inch Cold steel Voyager cliped on either side of pants pockets, 1 neck knife, and 4 "pocket" knives on his person DAILY...FOR YEARS! This is too much. Even working at a gun shop the danger isn't THAT high. I guess i just believe that two guns go from being a practicality to a "crutch" or false safety net. 3 guns or 20 guns on ya, if you aren't mentally prepared, your weapons are useless. Worried about jamming.....carry extra mags and learn reload drills. Still concerned about jamming.....carry a revolver....Worried about catastrophic gun failure, then I see the point in two guns, but worried about needing to go through 3 guns with ammo because of a long gun battle or wanting 3 guns in case two go out or you loose the use of your arms in a certain why....that's just screams of being paranoid. (and not in the good way ).

·
Administrator
79,364 Posts
ValleyBoy said:
To each their own, but I worked with a guy at the gun shop who carried two full sized Sig P220's, an S&W 642 in a pocket, a Kel-Tec 32 in the other back pocket, and a NAA 22 lr in his front pocket. (5 guns) In addition, he carried two 5 inch Cold steel Voyager cliped on either side of pants pockets, 1 neck knife, and 4 "pocket" knives on his person
...and all it takes is for somebody to hit him over the back of the head while he's busy pumping gas.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
ValleyBoy said:
Amen. To each their own, but I worked with a guy at the gun shop who carried two full sized Sig P220's, an S&W 642 in a pocket, a Kel-Tec 32 in the other back pocket, and a NAA 22 lr in his front pocket. (5 guns) In addition, he carried two 5 inch Cold steel Voyager cliped on either side of pants pockets, 1 neck knife, and 4 "pocket" knives on his person ).
I hope he never falls into a river! :biglaugh:

Seriously though, I think he was doing it to be badass. I agree. more than 3 is too much. A primary and a BUG is completely acceptable. A third if you are a bail enforcement agent or some type of LEO.

But 5 guns and 7 knives? He could be the nicest guy in the world but for that? He's the nicest idiot in the world.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.