1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last November my wife got me a 7.45 LDA as an early Christmas preasent. I had wanted one ever since I saw the first magazine articles about it in Handguns and Guns and Ammo, as I like the Government Model design but out of necessity have become used to (and now actually prefer) a DAO trigger over the past eight years. The gun was extremely accurate out of the box, shooting one hole groups at 15 yards. The only problem I had was that to center my shots on the target, I had to drift the rear sight so far over to the right that the sight actually extended past the side of the slide. The gun shot right to point of aim but the rear sight was so far over as to be distracting to my eye. I then got the bright idea to have Bo-Mar sights installed. I won't go into the details of the installation, as any dispute arising from it were thoroughly and professionally resolved by the gunsmith, but in the end the slide, while perfectly acceptable for target work, was unusable for my purposes (I wanted the gun for plainclothes/off duty carry). I contacted Para and explained the situation to them. They immediately issued a return authorization number to me and advised me to return the entire gun to have a new slide fitted. I sent the gun, along with a letter of explanation, out UPS next day air (even though their service facility is in the same state about 100 miles north of my residence). To my surprise I received a call from Larry from Para customer service the morning the gun arrived at. We spoke at length about the problem, and he advised the gun would be repaired (slide replaced). Larry also followed up with two additional phone calls to advise me that while the gun was there, upgraded parts had beeen installed, and a missing part had been replaced (loss of the part was not Para's fault). They even offered to install a Limited model slide on the gun so I could have adjustable sights! All this work was performed and the gun shipped back to me at substantially less than I would have paid had I ordered the slide myself, even though none of the problems were caused by Para! Larry at customer service was extremely helpful in this matter, and kept in touch with me throughout the process. In a world where most companies seem to care little about their customers, I must commend Para-Ordnance for their first rate service. They have another loyal customer! As an end note, the gun shoots superbly, is extremely accurate, and is utterly reliable (when used with good magazines). I have read complaints about the finish on Para pistols not holding up, but my gun does not exhibit this problem. Keep up the good work Para-Ordnance!

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's good to hear...

How did you contact them initially...by phone, letter, or e-mail?

(Just curious--My gun shoots so low that I don't know if I'll be able to file the front sight down enough, so I may contact them.)

·
Registered
175 Posts
You had better luck with their service than I did. I called them and they were complete idiots. The repair center is about 1/2 hour from my house. They wouldn't let me drop it off I had to pay the outrageous shipping. The idiot I talked to tried to BS me that it was a federal law. WRONG ANSWER! The barrel was fitted wrong and wouldn't hold a 4-5" group at 25yds. They said it was fine. They changed a recoil spring and filed down the spot where the slide relaese notch on the slide was peening. I like their guns but the people i dealt with were first class jerkoffs!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey Recon...kinda hard to send ya an email when your address isn't published.....send me one...k??

·
Registered
175 Posts
I spoke to the people in Hopbottom. The female told me it had to be shipped. I like my Paras but the service just wasn't there. Luckily they don't break often!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't make me re-hash my problems with the "gunsmiths" at Hopbottom, Pa.
They lied and tried to cover it up........

P

·
0 Posts
tcurtis

in your post you state that when you got your 7.45 back, some parts had been replaced with upgraded parts.

What were the upgraded parts?

I totally disassembled mine, (there sure are a lot of parts),to see what I could see, and most of the parts looked rough. It took about an hour to get it apart and a detailed list of what went where. It took about 2 hours to get it all back togather. went to the range this PM and every thing worked. I actually shot better with it than the colt or SA that I also brought with me. I don't normally shoot much past 15 yards and it was POA POI with the sights as they came right out of the box.

Pat

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new part installed is referred to as a "platform". My understanding is that there is nothing wrong with the old part but that it has been re-designed. My gun was one of the earlier versions and had the old-style platform. Since it was back anyway for service, they replaced it with one of newer design.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the tern "upgrade".

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's good to hear that Larry helped somebody. I had a p-14 limited. The mag that came with it would not load 14 rounds without denting brass. I got two more with the coupon and they worked perfectly. The mag also held the slide back when only one round was left. I sent the mag back thinking they would want to rectify the problem immediately. They sent it back saying they cleaned it and it was fine. I had the same problem. I repeatedly emailed and always got a response from Larry saying that the mag was perfect and there was nothing they could do. He finally told me the gun needed to be worked on even though it worked perfectly with the other mags. I was starting to get disatisfied with the gun anyway, due to: poor finish, apparent tiny "bubbles" in the metal on the frame, poor hammer and grip safety fit, and a warped, bent dust cover. I said they produced an unsat product and demanded my money back. Larry, of course, said ParaOrd would not do this. Most reputable gun makers will bend over backwards to correct problems and will back their product up 100%, considering the critical situations their products may be used in. I have sold that gun and will never get another. They seem to function OK sometimes and are accurate, but there is no attention to detail. The fact that their customer service people can't even diagnose or solve simple problems is pretty indicative of the lack of professionalism and quality at ParaOrd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got a new LDA 7.45 which fortunately I thoroughly function checked,took down and reassembled prior to loading and shooting.When releasing the slide from its locked open position by depressing the slide release,the trigger could not be pulled.The slide stop tab also would only partially engage the notch on the slide which would immediately fly forward rather than remain in the locked back position.This would have made clearing a jam far more fun and exciting than it normally is.It took me two days of repeat long distance phone calls to Canada before I got to talk with a tech.I had to UPS the pistol to Hop Bottom.I then got a call back from Larry telling me that they would replace my gun because the problem was unfixable (warped slide and something else having to do with the firing mechanism).
Why the hell didn't they function test the gun before it left the factory?If I found the defects so easily without even firing the pistol,so should they have.
Now,since I live in Kalifornia,my gun dealer has to mail his FFL to Pennsylvania;then I have to again fill out the forms,go through the ten day waiting period,and make sure that at least thirty days have passed since my purchase of the defective pistol before I may pick up the new gun.
I submit that this is bullcrap.It is inexcusable that a handgun which when it malfunctions,may result in serious injury or death,not have undergone what I consider basic quality control checks.No more Paras for me,ever!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
AH1....You dedused all that from owning one apparently defective pistol? And you are right....Para will and does bend over backwards to maintain a strong customer base. Sounds like you should have contacted the company direct.

Gunorthopod.....All para pistols ARE factory tested. Your pistol wouldn't have left the factory if it didn't pass testing. So, that leaves the question...why did it fail? I hope when the quality people at Para get a chance to examine that pistol they let you know what was wrong so you can post the results in here.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Newton,

Sounds like you work for Para so maybe you can solve the problem. I'm telling you, from my own experience with them, that ParaOrd DID NOT stand behind their product. I dealt directly with them via email. I don't feel I should have to drive up there and stand on the doorstep to be listened to. No problem. I know what quality firearms are because I own many of them. I'll make sure I don't waste any more time or money on Paras.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by Newton:
AH1....You dedused all that from owning one apparently defective pistol? And you are right....Para will and does bend over backwards to maintain a strong customer base. Sounds like you should have contacted the company direct.

Gunorthopod.....All para pistols ARE factory tested. Your pistol wouldn't have left the factory if it didn't pass testing. So, that leaves the question...why did it fail? I hope when the quality people at Para get a chance to examine that pistol they let you know what was wrong so you can post the results in here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are indeed Para-Ordnance apologist.Is this Canadian chauvinism,or are you an employee?One bad gun which arguably should not have left the factory is and should be adequate reason for me to damn the whole organization and also to warn my fellow enthusiasts.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by gunorthopod:
One bad gun which arguably should not have left the factory is and should be adequate reason for me to damn the whole organization and also to warn my fellow enthusiasts.
I will await your warning regarding Springfield, Colt, Kimber, Charles Daly, Glock, and the ocassional Wilson, Baer and Brown thrown in for good measure as well. Damn them all!

·
Registered
10 Posts
You're probably right but I've had no such problems with four Glocks,one Springfield Armory,one Beretta,and one Ruger pistol not to mention five S&W (sorry) pistols and one Taurus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just curious,

With so many quality companies out there that offer good customer service, how many defective pistols should one tolerate before steering clear of a particular company?

Newton,

You are apparently a loyal customer or have some connection with Para. Have you had good dealings with them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
I will await your warning regarding Springfield, Colt, Kimber, Charles Daly, Glock, and the ocassional Wilson, Baer and Brown thrown in for good measure as well. Damn them all!
Believe me if I encounter problems, I'll let you know. So far, I've been well served by 5 Glocks, 2 Sigs, 3 S&W, Browning HP and a SA 1911. I haven't needed their customer service, but I've heard good things. I totaly expect a manufacturer to produce a dud once in a while. What counts is how they correct their mistake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts