1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an OWB holster for my Ultra Carry that will ride tight enough to my hip to enable me to carry here in Florida under a loose fitting T shirt without having the grip print unduly,

I have tried a number of holsters so far without success.

I would appreciate responses from folks who actually have an OWB holster and are able to carry this way.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
High & tight

I have three holsters which meet that criteria for me. I'm wearing a Blade-tec as I write this (Kydex) which might be a good choice for Florida. DM Bullard makes supurb leather belts and holsters. I use his "Combat....." something with a bodyshield. Simply Rugged makes a great line of pancakes which you can wear strongside or crossdraw. The crossdraw dissappears under a shirt. The belt is "key" ; DM Bullard for leather or Wilderness Tactical for nylon. Good Luck; you'll probably get a draw full before you're done!

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I am looking for an OWB holster for my Ultra Carry that will ride tight enough to my hip to enable me to carry here in Florida under a loose fitting T shirt without having the grip print unduly,

I have tried a number of holsters so far without success.

I would appreciate responses from folks who actually have an OWB holster and are able to carry this way.

Thanks.
It might help to share what holsters you have tried that failed. Carrying OWB concealed isn't easy, without heavier clothing. Comfortable, T-shirt and shorts kinda gear is hard enough to conceal well with but IWB is the best bet. I do it all summer+ long in Texas without a problem.

Have you tried something like an Axiom? It's one that's said to be one of the best as far as hugging the gun up close.

Have you tried IWB holsters?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might help to share what holsters you have tried that failed. Carrying OWB concealed isn't easy, without heavier clothing. Comfortable, T-shirt and shorts kinda gear is hard enough to conceal well with but IWB is the best bet. I do it all summer+ long in Texas without a problem.

Have you tried something like an Axiom? It's one that's said to be one of the best as far as hugging the gun up close.

Have you tried IWB holsters?
I have tried IWB and I just don't find it comfortable.

I tried a Fobus, Don Hume, MtAC, and Sideguard OWB, and my Ultra Carry printed with all of them. Maybe, I am not being realistic about being able to carry OWB here in Florida with a light weight cover garment and should continue to look for an IWB that I can live with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I carry commander length 1911's OWB almost every day. I use a UBG Regulator. http://www.ubgholsters.com/owb.htm I can conceal under just a t-shirt without any problem (see pic below, my arm is in a bit of an unnatural forward position for you to see the gun area). If a commander carries like this, you should have no problem with an Ultra. Two things I particularly like about the Regulator... 1) It carries really tight to my side with a good gun belt. I don't get any outward cant of the sidearm at all. 2) It easily snaps onto the belt. I can quickly and easily put it on or remove it, unlike a holster that slides on.

That's my experience. Holsters are a very personal piece of gear. I'm sure many would work for you and you'll get many recommendations.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I have tried IWB and I just don't find it comfortable.

I tried a Fobus, Don Hume, MtAC, and Sideguard OWB, and my Ultra Carry printed with all of them. Maybe, I am not being realistic about being able to carry OWB here in Florida with a light weight cover garment and should continue to look for an IWB that I can live with.
I do think it'll be tough to find OWB to wear with summer garb. I wear a Brommeland MaxConV and love it. But the heat is the heat and even with an undershirt, the gun will get wet even if it's just trapped heat/moisture between the gun and you. I can also carry with an Alessi Dual Talon with elastic waistband type, really casual shorts with t-shirt ad flip flops. :D It's not ideal, but it gets the job done for short periods of time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would recommend not getting the blackhawk, I tried one today and just couldn't get comfortable with it. I'm a skinny guy so that could be part of it, but it was rubbing badly at 3 and 4 was just sagging terrible. Partly my fault because I was using a regular old belt but still the sag was horrible. I had to switch back a generic iwb nylon holster until my crossbreed comes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts