1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some news from down under:

Gun owners to have storage facilities inspected
Thursday, 27 October 2005. 13:50 (AEST)
Western Queensland gun owners will face a safety audit to ensure their weapons are being stored correctly.

The six-month state-wide audit will see police make appointments with randomly selected licenced weapon holders to inspect their storage facilities.

Weapons licencing branch Inspector Mike Crowley says the move is all about positive re-inforcement.

"The legislation is very clear on how firearms are to be stored, and this is purely put in place to act as a safety guideline, for not only the individual but the community at large," he said.

"It's very important that people who have firearms secure them so they do not fall into the hands of inappropriate people or those people not authorised to possess them."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Perhaps they should first inspect the gun storage facilities at the various police stations in Western Queensland.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Perhaps this is a few years down the road here in America, after they make mandatory use of gun locks. You just never know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim V ~> actually, that is a good idea. Not, of course, to attempt the creation of any equality between the public and law enforcement but, rather, to understand their rationale for how they store arms (in whatever manner they do). Their explanation may go some ways towards further exposing a dual standard.

jlang11 ~> if they could they would. :mummy:

I thought this commentary on the article was quite funny (hurts when I laugh?):

"It's very important that people who have firearms secure them so they cannot get to them quickly in an emergency. After all, criminals vote too, and they are good for the economy! Every time a burglar steals your TV set or your wife's jewelry, you go out and buy a new TV, or new jewelry, and that stimulates the economy. If your insurance won;t pay and you have to buy on credit, well, that's good for the banks. If we let citizens start shooting crooks breaking into their homes, why, think of all that lost economic stimulus! So what if your wife got raped because you couldn't get the gun safe door open quickly enough; you gotta start looking at the big picture here!"

·
Banned
110 Posts
Paje said:
I thought this commentary on the article was quite funny (hurts when I laugh?):
You are kidding, right? Please tell me no one actually said that!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Klingon said:
You are kidding, right? Please tell me no one actually said that!
:biglaugh: sometimes satire is the best way to get a point across (could be same reason why John Stewart is a popular 'news' source).

·
Banned
110 Posts
Paje said:
:biglaugh: sometimes satire is the best way to get a point across (could be same reason why John Stewart is a popular 'news' source).

More like Bill Maher...except he would have been serious.

·
Registered
782 Posts
With a rising rate of violent crime, (like every place else with strict gun regulations,) the Aussies must sleep well in their beds at night knowing that their police are diligently inspecting the storage facilities of honest gun owners, who have gone to the trouble of registering their firearms.
Marty

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think it's clear that they have too many bureaucrats sitting around with nothing to do. They need a tax reform to thin out some of the rif-raf.

Hank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts