1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, new member with a problem.

A little background, I have 2 P-12's and P-13's in steel and alloy frames, purchased 9-10 yrs ago. All of them have at least 2000 rounds through them.
They've been stored for the last 8 years, and I just started up shooting again. They worked fine that I remember when I put them away way back when.
After years of procrastinating, I took the class and applied for a CCW. I decided that now was a good time to replace the mag and recoil springs with Wolff springs and make sure that that the two I was likely to carry were ready to go. I picked the two alloy framed guns and the P-13 was flawless through 200 rounds. The P-12 alloy, was not. The P-12 would lock the slide open on any round. I tried the mags for the P-13 that had run perfect and it still locked the slide open on any round.
The resident 1911 guy at the range thought that the recoil spring might need to settle in so I left the slide locked back for a week and headed back to the rage. It's better, now it only locks open on the last round. the last round is moved up about 3/8th's of an inch in the mag and the slide latch is engaged. Re-racking the slide will load the last round just fine. Full mag or just two loaded it is the same, and with both of the mags I took with me. I tried the old recoil spring and it still did the same thing. I didnt try the old mag springs.

On top of that I'm getting a lot of grief for having the Para, it seems it is very well disliked at that range. I've got to get it working to save some face. :)

Thanks....

·
Registered
371 Posts
MrChick,

You need a deeper detent in the head of the slide stop. A center drill works good for this. Deep enough to keep the slide from locking back with rounds in the mag, but not so deep that a good mag spring can't overcome it when the mag is empty.

G

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you nailed it. I checked the slide lock and there is virtually no detent at all, just a shiny spot. Checking my P-13 there is good size detent that looks like it was drilled there.

I'll fix it and post back with a range report.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Strange that no credit is given to 2 pistols that had worked so well so far in the past. They are then brought out of storage and for no obvious problem have after-market parts substituted for the originals. One of them continues to work flawlessly, the other hiccups, and immediately the pistol and the company that made them is trashed. What a curious reaction. Also unbelievable that an entire group of people have such a dislike for the company that has innovated the high-capacity .45 and the LDA, among other things. I guess some people are more impressed with the pin stripes found on other companies' products. Which range or club is this anyway? Perhaps the simplest solution would have been to go back to the original springs. The other suggestions can also be useful but from what I know you should be careful that the indent is not made to deep. Good luck.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I brought them out of storage it seemed like a good time to catch up on maintenance that I should have done. A quick check showed that the recoil and mag springs were weak. Just loading the mags and thumbing the rounds out was enough to convince me that it was time for them, the last round was a little nose down and the tension was very low. A rack of the slide and you knew the spring was weak.

As for the guys at the range, they say that they have witnessed too many Para's failing. There is no way to argue with that, either they have or they havent, but I cant change their mind. Actually, the eldest there likes the new LDA single stacks, but not the double stacks, FTF problems he says. I sure havent helped his impression.

Going back to the original recoil spring didnt help the problem and the first round sent a 100mph piece of brass into my forehead that left me bleeding. If I wasnt sure the old spring was weak before then, I was sure after that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keep an eye on your alloy frames for cracks. Para aluminum frames are notorious for breaking the frame rails, Mostly on the left side by the mag well opening. Even the steel frames can crack there with heavy useage.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dimpling the slide lock helped just a little. When I got back from the range I stripped the gun down to to clean it and using the just the frame I tried both mags with a single round in them. One mag was fine but the other has the follower up high enough to push the slide lock. It locked the slide open with either mag.

Now I have the mags fully loaded and I'll let them sit for a while to see if the new mag spring settles in.

michael21, I'll keep an eye on for sure. I've heard about that back when I got them and I've stayed away from +P ammo. I did send an email to para asing them about +P and they it was fine.... I'm still going to keep checking :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried a new mag (in the package for the last 8 years) and one of the mags that I left loaded, the one that didnt engage the slide lock with 1 round in the mag.

Worked perfect for the ~30 shots I put through it. I only put that many through it because I was out testing my newly bought used Kimber Royal Carry, it's Compact with a blue finish from the Custom Shop at Kimber. Very similar in size and weight to the P-12.

They are both very accurate, but the P-12 is twice as easy to control when doing rapid fire. That wider grip really helps get the gun back on target and lessen felt recoil.

I'm going to order new followers for the older mags, I think that with the new springs and the wear of a couple thousand rounds, they just get over powered and tilt up in the front and engage the slide lock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts