1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all..
I just bought a used Para Ordnance P-13 yesterday (my FIRST 1911 styled single action!!!) and have a question..
While cleaning once I brought it home, I found the bore was really rough.. On the bore, grooves are very smooth.. But the lands are so rough I couldn't believe my eyes.. It is more like deep scratched machine tool marks going side-wise(?).. I mean, the scratch marks are going NOT the length-wise on the bore, but the East-West direction(?).. So it is highly unlikely that the previous owner did the damage while cleaning it because the groove was scratch-free, and the direction of the scratches on the land.. It's like sharp machine tool scratch marks all over....
The machined tool marks are so deep and are on the entire length, I've never seen anything like this even on some very very cheap guns..
Is this normal on the Para-Ordnance guns, or do I have a defect??
Should I contact the company??
I have not shot it yet so I can't comment on the accuracy but the fouling WILL be a serious problem, I think...
Any input/help??? Thanks, guys...

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
YIKES

Doesn't sound normal to me. I have noticed that Para's bores in general are not the "smoothest" I have ever seen, but they usually flatten out after 500 rds. of hardball (jacketed).

Your situation should definitely warrant a call to P.O.

Are the marks along the whole length of the barrel, or just in one spot?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shane,
Unfortunately, the marks are along the entire length of the barrel.. On the land only, though..

I'll call P-O first thing Monday...
Thanks..

[This message has been edited by Stevo (edited 06-10-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Good luck!

After re-reading your post a few times, I determined that you probably do indeed know what tooling marks look like. My initial thought was that the barrel was "pitted" from improper maintenance, or that someone had concocted their own idea of a perfect barrel cleaner - with corrosive results. Neither of those two ideas would leave nice sharp, clean machined markings however....

·
Registered
364 Posts
That's a fairly interesting situation you have there. The Para barrels are machined for the unfinished inside bore diameter, then they are broached for the land and grove rifling. I've never seen any machine marks on this surface due to the fact it's not machined. If it is used, chances are that's it's used, and abused. By all means call Para to see if there's anything they can do or suggest, but in my humble opinion, it's not a factory defect staring at you, but someone's idea of a better way to clean a barrel gone bad. Please let us know how it turns out for ya.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Newton,
Thanks for your input.. I had suspected the previous owner as the cause of the scratched marks.. But then, the fact that the groves were clean and smooth didn't explain the bad cleaning method..
If some used something to clean the bore and scratched the heck out of it, then the scratched marks must be on both land and grove.. Also, the scratch marks are running side-ways.. Since the cleaning actions are always running length-wise on the bore from the chamber to the muzzle end, the scratched marks should be running length-wise also, like North-South.. But the marks on my bore run East-West, left-right..
Ok.. If you grab a nail and run it on your blue finished gun with the nail's sharp end, you get the sharp looking scratched mark.. The marks on the bore are like those marks.. Only on the lands, running side-wise.. So from the muzzle end, it looks as if the entire bore is threaded..
What are those marks???? Man, it drives me nuts..
Should I try fire lapping??

·
Registered
257 Posts
Before doing anything, I would shoot some groups to find out what the gun's doing. Even gun's with "rough" bores can deliver sometimes spectacular accuracy. As to fouling, as long as your using jacketed rounds, in all likelyhood it will not be a big problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts