1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would say about every 5 shells I get hit in the head after firing. Its even drawn blood a couple times. Little half moons. Pretty funny. Anyway, I've replaced the extractor once with no change. Anyone know whats going on?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
niepo said:
I would say about every 5 shells I get hit in the head after firing. Its even drawn blood a couple times. Little half moons. Pretty funny. Anyway, I've replaced the extractor once with no change. Anyone know whats going on?
There's several things you have to take into consideration that's causing or adding to your problem.
The P-13 being a commander size gun means the slide has more speed, the gun being rifled to the left means the gun will torque to the left, these two things will make the gun want to eject the empties back toward the shooter.
If the shooter's grip gets a little loose this will add to the problem because the gun will be able to torque even more to the left.

To keep the brass from hitting you in the head, you will need to be sure you keep a firm grip, have a proper polish & tuned extractor, and a properly fit and tuned extended ejector.
You want to make sure the extractor can not clock, and be sure your ejector is not loose, it needs to be fit tight to the frame.
I've tuned commander extractors using as much as 32 oz's of tension, I also like to cut a nice clean escape angle on the tuned extractor.
If the extractor is clocking you will need to take an oversized firing pin stop plate and fit it tight.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts