1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I posted this in the PO forum but have not recieved any feedback. Has anyone done any conversions on thier PO, I am looking to put a whole new top end on mine for 460 roland and 9 mm. I really dont know who to have do this, or where to start for myself. Any input would be greatly app.

------------------
Semper Fi
yans

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yans, the only .460 conversions I've done was on a trio of Smith 625's. Lemme tell you the Georgia Arms loads are hot, hot, hot. I asked these three customers to please, don't use this factory ammo. To me it feels as hot as a .44 Mag., and less metal in the cylinder to contain it. Since they wanted these for pin shooting, that's too hot anyway for fast shooting (a 230 at 1350). I told them to load for maybe a 230 at 1100, which is still a big step up from ACP and more than enough for bowling pins.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The 460 is REALLY HOT! You might want to ensure that the PO frame you plan to use is steel, and not the alloy variety...

Also, you'd need a couple slides, switching a 45 breechface for a 38 Super breechface to run 9mm, and that may require different Ejector's for the swap.

There are some who feel the Steel framed PO's aren't really up to the task of handling HOT Super/9x23 loads, and if that's the case, then the 460 will certainly beat it up...

Ned's suggestion to download from Factory may be worth considering, if you must do the 460. Even the 45 Super should be a little easier on it...

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts